Yikes ! Tank sand solid brown

AJK

Hello friends, last week I purchased 40 lbs of live rock from an established tank, placed in mine with yellow tang. My pure white sand, has now turned solid brown !!! Research states diatom. It's everywhere in tank. Other then water changes, what can I do to alleviate this problem ? I've done 10% water change twice, only to get worse. Tang is swimming actively so far. But brown sand looks horrid !!! Also protein skimmer is yanking nasty content. First major issue, I've had in 2.5 yrs. Never experienced this problem in my 20 gal.

Thanx for any assistance :)

reefer gladness

That's pretty much par for the course with a new tank, diatoms are to be expected. Cleanup crew will help turn over the sand and you can also vacuum the top layer when doing water changes.

DaveK

In addition to the above advice about a diatom bloom being more or less normal, don't panic. Just wait this out. Other than increasing the water changes, don't do anything else. The worst think you can do is start messing with the system and using additives or algae control products and turning a minor problem into a big one.

AJK

Thank you friends :) I was in panic mode, Lol !!! I had read elsewhere Prime works really well, but never aided fresh/salt tanks with chemicals. Will pick up cuc tomorrow.