Yet another tunze skimmer question

Matt spivey

Hi everybody, I have the 130d and managed to get the stock skimmer working well. I looked at getting the tunze9002 for the simple fact that it's quieter. I have drilled the skimmer cup lid but it is still a bit noisy on a night. The other reason that has pushed me more towards it is micro bubbles! I'm sick of them, I keep my water level at a certain amount constantly and check it a lot but I still get a few bursts of bubbles at a time.
Does the tunze stop all these micro bubbles or am I just going to have to put up with them?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slfcaptain

I don't have first hand experience but the tunze is supposed to address these issues as well as providing a space to add a media rack. I am sure someone who has it will chime it.

Red sea does have a new and improved skimmer for the 130. I haven't seen it except in pictures of the new 130. Not sure when that will be available but it is also supposed to address noise and microbubbles. So you will have a couple of upgrade options soon.

steve

Timmydatoolman

I have the Tunze 9002 in my 130d, and I have had micro bubble issues, not often but they still show up on occasion, I have convinced my wife that it's the jacuzzi feature for the fish :)

Phineous

You'll need an InTank skimmer cup for the Tunze 9002 if you want the lid to shut. If everything is aligned properly you won't get microbubbles.

Matt spivey

Thanks for replies, a fish jacuzzi ha they're spoilt enough already!

I will look into the rsm upgrade as it sounds like it'll be cheaper than buying the tunze, Stevie t rack and Intank cup and shipping the latter 2 to the UK.

The micro bubbles are almost constant but my water level is as recommended in the threads for fixing micro bubbles. Maybe I should take my skimmer out and try to wiggle it around a bit?

Davidfx

I've just ordered the Tunz for my New build as a compleat kit with Media Rack and New cup from Charter House aquatics in the UK at £159.99 with free shipping.

Matt spivey

Can I find this bundle on their website David? I use charter house quite a bit but never looked into equipment on there.

Phineous

One other thing. The stock pumps in the RSM can also cause microbubbles. They don't seal well around the impeller. There's an update that Red Sea was offering free, but since their site update the registration for the update is gone. On another forum one person was able to write RS support and get an upgraded pump on the way. Try contacting Red Sea with your tank and hood serial numbers and see if they'll send you one too.

Matt spivey

I saw the pump thread but I've tie wrapped them so no gaps anymore!

Thanks for the link I'll call them in the morning, you've saved me a ton of effort