Yet another lighting question!

badvegan

It has a single reflector it looks like from the picture, but for many years we all used single reflectors.

I personally would give it a shot, at least it is a cheap back up or sump light if its awful. Of course for not much more you could get one of the aquatraders lights and even though they are not wonderful, at least you know they work for a while.

all I have for space is 22 inches and that is max for the fixture. currently my light sits ontop of plexiglass. Thinking I am going to get some real glass cut out for the front, and filter box.

Uslanja

The price is right, but my guess is it will end up in the spare parts box if growing coral is what you are after. Although "watts per gallon" is an outdated guideline, it is only going to give you 3 watts per gallon, that is low light. As well, the fixture states that it is for fresh water; what is the temperature of those bulbs? Are more suitable marine rated bulbs available? It might make a good fuge light for macros. You might want to check out a small halide fixture. Here is quick example on ebay, but there are many more styles and configurations available. You might want to go with an open top tank for gas exchange and evaporative cooling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/18-Metal-Halide...ultDomain_0&hash=item19c50e4c32#ht_1946wt_905