Yes, more skimmer questions..

redseareef

RS Sponsor
redsea reefer,
Sounds like you are still not too happy with the mod. Let me tell you a few things that I have noticed about my skimmer and other skimmers for that matter.
The Max system as we all know is small. So any small changes to the water make big changes to skimmer efficiency.
There are multiple things to consider if a skimmer is NOT pulling out what you think it should. Bear in mind, each system is different. Each tank has different loads due to the animal amount, feeding, ect.
The first thing to check for is restrictions in the air and or water flow! Then, if all that is clear that eliminates that! You can then concentrate on other possible reasons.
Take my tank for example. I get a light colored green effluent with a dark layer of grunge from the rim of the neck in the cup down maybe a half inch.
Sometimes the skimmer is pulling out and I can see it. Other times it is not pulling out anything.
I change my carbon every other week and clean out the rear chambers every other week. After changing the carbon I get VERY little from the skimmer! IT's a small tank with alot of carbon in it.
Now, if I let the carbon go for three weeks, the skimmer really starts kicking in pulling out a steady stream of effluent into the cup. This is becasue the carbon is getting depleated and the skimmer is picking up where the carbon is no longer working.
After three weeks, my skimmer acts like a completely different skimmer!!
So there are alot of variables to consider. Water changes, feeding, fish load, coral load, additives and the lst goes on. It takes time to find out how the system reacts, and what changes effect what equipment and how they react.
I am not trying to tell you what to do, I am just trying to help. There is a excellent review on the latest Advanced Aquarist magazine on skimming. Four skimmers where compared. A needle wheel, down draft, venturi and I think a air stone. Guess what? They all had VERY equaly results.
Once you get the correct amount of water/air ratio into the body and the flow is sufficient for the system gallonage you are pretty good.
The surface skimmer box will help indeed. It makes a big difference. I just hated to see you cut your skimmer up without getting the overflow box first and or giving it a little more time.
Good luck with it and keep us posted!

redsea reefer

Hi Everyone, Well the skimmer is working a lot better after i cut it. I can see the foam climbing over the neck and in the cup now. Im guessing it will work better when i get the surface skimmer, so i am starting to have a little hope for the old skimmer.

REDSEAREEF---- I also agree with your last post....

thebiggster

Hi Everyone, Well the skimmer is working a lot better after i cut it. I can see the foam climbing over the neck and in the cup now. Im guessing it will work better when i get the surface skimmer, so i am starting to have a little hope for the old skimmer.

REDSEAREEF---- I also agree with your last post....

Good to hear Redsea reefer