Yellow Watchman vs Peppermint Shrimp

So today I added a pep shrimp to my tank, for entertainment and the fact I have a few Aiptasia growing on some on my LR. I was afraid my Dottyback would attack the shrimp, but I've noticed my Watchman Goby come out of hiding, and sit and stare at the shrimp for the longest time. He hasn't attacked the shrimp yet, but he opens his jaw like he's ready to devour, and I find it odd that the Goby just sits and watches the shrimp. Do YWG eat ornamental shrimp? The pep shrimp is rather large in comparison to the Goby.

Thanks,

Joe

Well The shrimp slept on the way top of the tank, I think he's a little scared of his "roomates". It's actually quite funny to watch the Goby stare at him, usually he's so timid and nervous of anything in the tank. I'll try to get some pics of it.

Surfnut

Your Goby probably thinks it's a cleaner shrimp,.. He'll figure it out eventually,.. or not lol

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
smokinjoe2122 said:
Yup, he ate him. No pics I guess lol

Well that was certainly unexpected. However I understand. I love shrimp too.

Sorry pal. How big was the shrimp n do u think the outcome would have been different had the shrimp been bigger?

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

The shrimp was pretty big, but the Goby was eyeing him up and was hyper-extending his jaw like he wanted to swallow him whole. Shrimp is gone, and Goby looks fatter, so I guess he's not shrimp safe :(

dmatt88

Glad u have a sense of humor n sorry about the shrimp. But it is good to know.

I kinda feel bad because I pretty much doomed the shrimp from the get go. I guess that's reef tank life lesson or the circle of life or something. Haha jjmoneyman, you can borrow him if you can get him out. He's pretty diabolic when it comes to not being caught.

dmatt88

I have the same problem with the pistol shrimp. I hear him Oh I hear him. But I think he must b clear or looks like a rock cause I haven't seen him in months.

yankieman

I am surprised he ate the shrimp I cant see anywhere in reading about them that leads me to think he would do that are you sure he ate the peppermint or is the shrimp just in hiding they sometimes disappear into the rock only seen at night ,, I just got a tiger snapping shrimp and a wheelers shrimp goby and I have a cleaner shrimp I certainly dont want him to get eaten by a goby,,,?

I have this old school reef fish book. It's actually quite good, damn near all species, and I read after the disappearance that YWG are not safe with ornamental shrimp. Quite a few species of Gobies (Gobys?) aren't apparently. I'd love to have a cleaner shrimp, pistol or even peppermint for cleaning and entertainment, but it seems it won't happen with him in there.

By the way, I found one of the shrimp's legs near fort goby, so yah, he's eaten!