Yellow tang rubbing on rocks

jfenton954

My yellow tang is rubbing on the rocks in my tank. There is no sign of ich...... All of the other fish seem fine also. He's rubbing so much it looks like there is redish irritation spots on his side. Has any one seen this?
62cc3854-2f1b-df0f.jpg
62cc3854-2f2d-2217.jpg
62cc3854-2f59-946f.jpg

SaltyChick

That usually means they are itchy. From what? Parasite? Detritis maybe? But that doesn't look good. His scales are irritated. I would put him in a hospital tank and keep an eye on him. That way he cannot injure himself any further

TylerHaworth

Just because you can't see ich, does not mean it is not there. I also see some redness to the fish which is indicative of something bad. It's time to get him out and put him in a hospital tank.

lol how is he gonna get him out though do you see his rock in the back lol your better off just leaving it even though its very risky ick has taken many lives of my fish. my personal thing that I do because i dont have a quarantine is if it has some parasite i just feed extra nutritious seaweed feed a little more and put vitamin supplement in the food and keep water clean and stable as possible.

TylerHaworth

lol how is he gonna get him out though do you see his rock in the back lol your better off just leaving it even though its very risky ick has taken many lives of my fish. my personal thing that I do because i dont have a quarantine is if it has some parasite i just feed extra nutritious seaweed feed a little more and put vitamin supplement in the food and keep water clean and stable as possible.

What a terrible, negligent, cruel, and irresponsible approach.

fishguy4

I agree with tyler it is a sign of ich about to emerge. I had the exact same thing happen to my yellow tang. Basically the parasite is burrowing into the flesh of the fish and the fish obviously doesnt enjoy this. If you think about it if you were a fish and ur skin was irritated< you would itch it. Thats wat hes doin.

Ok so ur tang is most likely gonna get ich so u need to move him to a hospital tank immediately. It easily could spread to other fish in the tank esp that kole tang.

O and clownfishrule u rly need to get a qt tank. I was like u for awhile until my yellow tang gave my fish ich and KILLED EVERY FISH except my awesome indestructible assessor. But the point is get a QT!

jfenton954

I'm going to try to treat in my tank with a reef safe med called kick-ich. I've heard good things about it. It's coral an invert safe.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm going to try to treat in my tank with a reef safe med called kick-ich. I've heard good things about it. It's coral an invert safe.

Dude. It won't work. Read the stickies by Leebca in the fish disease n treatment section. The snake oil referenced above will only rid u of $ not crypto.

.............I'm feeling salty.

SaltyChick

good luck let us know how it goes. iv never heard anything good or bad about it.

fishguy4 that sucks!!!! i would be so upset. main reason i do not want a tang.

Doogle

You should be able to get him out. Rig up a net so it stays in the tank all the time. Start putting food(seaweed or whatever the tangs favorite is, right?) in the net so the fish come closer, eventually they get use to it and will try to get the food in it. That's were your patience comes in.lol. Eventually you should be able to catch it off guard.