Yellow Tang Question

jesse_224

I was at one of my LFS today discussing my hair algae problems. The lady there said I should get a yellow tang because one would help eat the algae I am having problems with. My tank is a 10 gal. with a 10g sump. I told her that everything that I had ever read said they shouldnt be kept in anything smaller than a 55g. She said that it would be fine in my 10g. I didnt buy it but I am wondering if I should? I need something to help with the hair algae. I could always trade the tang in after I get the algae under control? Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone have any ideas?

prow

dont get the tang. scrubbing the rocks and manuel removal of as much as you can goes a long way though. did you start this tank with tap water?

you can just throw a blanket over the tank so little light gets in or at least keep your lights off. good flow via PH's and little to no feeding. do daily blowing off of the rocks and 5gal water changes with RO/DI water. run some blackdiamond or seachems carbon to deal with the algae die off and also run some phosban or rowaphos to remove phosphates. get some buffer and keep the ph around 8.3. keep temps good. do this for about a month. after a couple weeks you can decrease water changes but i would still do at least 2 a week till all looks clean no phos, NH4, NO2 or NO3 present on testing, or very low levels, then start adding light 1 hour aday till your back to your normal photoperiod. once things are back to normal make sure you get a good cleanning crew before the algae returns. i suggest adding something like:
10-cerith snials
10-nerite snails
10-trochus snails
1-nassarius snail, 2 max.

if the algae is not that bad you can just add the snails in a couple groups a couple weeks apart and reduce your lighting period, decrease feedings, increase water changes using RO/DI water, add the carbon and phosban/rowaphos.

the BIGGEST suggestion i have is get a good skimmer and of course one could always use a bigger tank, to fit fishes like that tang.:D

Kirblit

A tang has no business being in a 10g tank, I don't think that I could ever trust any LFS that would make such a reccomendation. Prow is right on track for you, you just have to be patient and you will solve the problem, adding a fish will only make it worse at this point.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yikes!! Karma to for NOT putting a tang in a 10 gallon. You should focus on removing it's food source from your tank; phosphates and nitrates.

• Purchase some phosban or rowaphos media and begin using it. Either product works very well at removing po4.
  • Ro/Di water is recommended instead of tap, but if you're using tap water, make sure to place some of the phosban/rowaphos media in your newly made salt water container too.
  • For the nitrAtes, make sure your water source is not high in them and if not, perform water changes to get them below 10ppm.
  • If you use carbon, make sure you're soaking it in ro/di water PRIOR to using it. Doing this will help remove excess po4 that will naturally leach from the carbon.
  • Soak all foods in ro/di water prior to feeding.
  • Remove the rocks if necessary and scrub off any algae.
Good luck and keep us posted!

blue_eyes53813

Tang in a 10 gallon.. oh my gosh... PLease do not take any more information from that lfs... Was this a new person that said that?

jesse_224

Thanks for all of the info. The lady at the LFS was new to the store but was supposed to have over 15 years exp. I have been fighting this hair algae for at least 3 or 4 months now. It is the most stubborn thing I have had to deal with since starting my tank. I started my tank with RO/DI water and all of my water changes and top offs are RO/DI. I am growing chaeto in my sump and also have a phos sponge. I have taken all of my LR out and cleaned it with a toothbrush about 4 or 5 times. After scrubbing the rocks the tank looks good for 3 or 4 days and then I see the algae coming back.
I just recently moved from IL to OK and during the moving process while my tank was in 5 gal buckets I noticed the algae started to decline. I left my tank in the buckets without lighting for a few weeks just to let the algae die off and it did. But as soon as I put my tank back together and started my normal lighting (96w 50/50) it started growing again. I test regularly and my nitrates and po4 always test at 0.
I have never used carbon before but I will get some and try, and I am planning on ordering phosban soon. Also I will cut the lighting completely off. Hopefully I can get this hair algae whooped soon.........it is driving me crazy!

blue_eyes53813

Good luck in your fight Jesse. I know myself how frustrating algae can be.. It makes this wonderful hobby very disheartening.

spanko

Hey I would not cut the lights off completly. What about the needs of your corals for light? What is you lighting cycle now, i.e. how many hours on/off? Cut you rcycle down to 8 or even 6 for a few weeks. Keep taking it out manually. Cut down on you feedings. You can lick this it is just a matter of nutrient reduction. Are you running a skimmer? 24/7?

jesse_224

I am not running a skimmer. Oh how I would like to but havent had the cash to get a good one yet. ....and the Jebo ps75 I have wont fit in my sump. I am going out of town for a couple days so I am going to shut off the lights and when I get back maybe I will start turning them on for a little while. Up until yesterday my lighting was 96w 50/50 coralife retrofit that would run from 1pm until 9:30ish and then from around 9:30 till 11 i would run a single 15w actinic blue. I think my two GSP colonies and my shrooms would be fine without the light....at least for a while.

jesse_224

I just bought a new fission nano skimmer so maybe it will help out. I know it doesnt have the best reviews, but if it can help me get through a couple months then it will be worth the $30.