Yellow Tang….Strange Condition

DanSReef

I have had a yellow tang in my 72 gal reef for a couple of months now and he has settled in quite nicely. There has been any fighting among other inhabitants that include a pair of Green Chromis, TR Perculas, Copper Band Butterfly, Bumble Bee Damsel and Flame Angel… The Tang has been eating everything I offer it including seaweed, flake, Mysis, Rod’s, Roger’s……etc. Also, all water parameters are great. 0-5 Nitrates, Phosphates indicate 8, PH around 8 (needs to be higher), KH 8 dpk…..water temp 77-78 and salinity 1.025.

Over the last few days, the all yellow tang has been developing a red haze on the top of his body starting at the front base of his dorsal fin. It has progressed throughout his dorsal fin. I will try to take a picture of him later today. At first I thought perhaps he injured himself inside the tank somehow. I then ruled out fighting because all of his fins are intact….and no apparent injuries. My concern is there some sort of disease that presents itself like this….

I would appreciate any thoughts… Do these fish change color as they age???

that is a fungal infection from the sounds of it, yellow tangs stay yellow, you should quarantine him and treat him ASAP before it spreads to the other fish

DanSReef

So.... the discoloration has faded away over the following week to my post. At the worst....it was pretty red/orange along the top of his body...and base of the dorsal fin. He had no apparent injuries...no loss energy or appetite... I have been monitoring him pretty closely...and his yellow color has completely returned.

At this point... I am going to continue to monitor things.....if it reappears I will post it here. In any event...it is not something I have seen in the years I have kept saltwater fish and reefs.

yachtie

I have had a yellow tang in my 72 gal reef for a couple of months now and he has settled in quite nicely. There has been any fighting among other inhabitants that include a pair of Green Chromis, TR Perculas, Copper Band Butterfly, Bumble Bee Damsel and Flame Angel… The Tang has been eating everything I offer it including seaweed, flake, Mysis, Rod’s, Roger’s……etc. Also, all water parameters are great. 0-5 Nitrates, Phosphates indicate 8, PH around 8 (needs to be higher), KH 8 dpk…..water temp 77-78 and salinity 1.025.

Over the last few days, the all yellow tang has been developing a red haze on the top of his body starting at the front base of his dorsal fin. It has progressed throughout his dorsal fin. I will try to take a picture of him later today. At first I thought perhaps he injured himself inside the tank somehow. I then ruled out fighting because all of his fins are intact….and no apparent injuries. My concern is there some sort of disease that presents itself like this….

I would appreciate any thoughts… Do these fish change color as they age???

if you are worried about the tang getting infections i suggest the following treatment. i use a product from microblift called herbtana and artemis. these help fish build up their immune system. i use these once a week ,just follow directions . it is used for introduction of new fish as well as a monthly antibacterial treatment. i have tangs and it really helps, i have not had one ich outbreak or other dieseases.