Yellow star polyp help

McReefer

I was wondering if any one could offer some advice as to why my polyps are closing and dying on me. All parameters are right lighting should be good as well. Ive had them for some time now and all of a sudden they are dying:help:!! Everything else in the tank is doing fantastic.

AJ REEF

Well fish shouldn't be the problem. :)

Could there be a coral or invertebrate stinging it with a sweeper tentacle?

Unfortunately there are often times where zoas and palys recede with little known cause.

Any new products lately?

ReefApprentice

It could be just pouting.Some times corals will just look bad for a day.If its is aculty dieing then it could be nudis.

McReefer

Nope nothing next to it that would be able to sting it as it sits all by itself. As of new tankmates i picked up a blue linckia starfish and a piece of live rock with misc corals and some hitchhikers (dwarf starfish and some snails that im not sure what they are).

yvr

I believe that star polyps, zoanthids and mushrooms benefit from iodine supplementation . From my experience and referencing Reef Aquarium Vol 2., I think that they prefer a tank with elevated Iodine concentrations at approx. .06ppm. If you add iodine to your tank, be sure to always test for it though.

McReefer

No the little star fish is not an asterna. When i told my LFS about them he told me that they could be dwarf brittle starfish. He said he had them in his tank and they were completly harmless.