WTS Octopus BH300F HOB Protein Skimmer

BarbMazz

Hm. Do you think this skimmer would be overkill for a 34g nano? I'm not happy with the nano's stock skimmer. It's a JBJ nanocube.

BarbMazz

I'm wondering if it would fit on the back of this tank.. .you know how nanos have those compartments in the back?

How does it hang on the tank? I assume that's where the water intakes for the skimming?

If you could give me a little HOB skimmer primer I'd appreciate it! lol

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I'm wondering if it would fit on the back of this tank.. .you know how nanos have those compartments in the back?

How does it hang on the tank? I assume that's where the water intakes for the skimming?

If you could give me a little HOB skimmer primer I'd appreciate it! lol

It hangs by the inlet and outlet pipes. As you face the back of tank, there is an inlet pipe on the left that is 1 1/1" in diameter, and the compartment the water flows into. Then a center reaction compartment, and on the right side a 2" outlet pipe. The outlet compartment is quite large enough to put a heater or media bag in. The two pipes are about 12" apart

Alternatively, I also have a Reef Octo B2000 skimmer. The inlet on it is on the right side, and the outlet on the left (the reverse). The two pipes are about 8 1/2" apart. I need to keep one :) so if that works better for you I can let it go instead.

The pump on the b2000 is external, so it transfers no heat, but makes a little noise like all external pumps.

Not sure if I answered all your questions. What else can I help with?

And on an editorial note it is hard to type with my cat poking my hands

BarbMazz

:D My cat is currently lying right on my chest as I type. lol

I'll have to find a diagram of the skimmer with the measurements to see if it will work on the back of this tank.... there are 5 different compartments, and they are each very small, width-wise. I have to see if the panels separating them are removable. It seems they should be.

I'll do some research and post what I find out here. Thanks for the info.

BarbMazz

Actually, could you measure the distance between the inlet and outlet pipes? Say, from the middle of each pipe? That will tell me if it will fit in the chambers as they are now. If it's not too much trouble. :D

BarbMazz

Thanks for taking the time with me ..... unfortunately, neither one will work. :(
Shoot! The big one is way too wide, and the smaller one won't fit into any two of the compartments!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
That's too bad. It is just PVC tubing and the skimmers can be fully disassembled. Whatever works for you though

PaulR

I have a little 20gallon long that the little one might work for. That is one complex looking beastie! Let me know if nobody else takes it, and we can perhaps dicker a bit.

-Paul

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
No one else has spoken yet. If I knew your zip I could figure out shipping which would make it easier to close a deal