WTB: Clam

Jiddy

I did a little research and found the derasa clam should do fine under my VHO (4x160w) but it likes sand. Well my tank is 30in deep so that would really cut down on the light it recieve, i dont even keep my xenia that low, what should i do?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
30" is pretty deep for VHO's but I'm no clam expert... someone else with lots of clam experience needs to chime in here...

Warnberg

Not a lot of clam experiance, but I am keeping a Maxima on the sand bed in my main display (30 inches deep) however I am running T5's. Now from what I understand the maxima needs much more light than the derasa. If you already have the clam you may want to try to partially bury a piece of rock in the sand and place the clam on it, then once it attaches (sometimes right away sometimes it take a few weeks) you can then move it higher in the display. Problem with this is if it doesn't like where you put it it will detach and move on you.

Good Luck

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The Deresa Clam relies heavily on the photosynthesis of the zooxanthellae cells growing in its mantle so even though it's hardy IMO the tank is just too deep to keep a Clam in the substrate with just VHO's. Warnberg has a great suggestion and I would try that.

Jiddy

Thanks for the info guys, i think ill just tell the boss she cant have on until she lets the little worker get MH's lol!