wrasse treatment

camp

I got new fish 2 weeks ago,and one of my new wrasses just started to swim realy weird. I still have them in qt tank. None of them show any problems of ick, so that is good. I just want to know what it might have. If it is a blatter infection,what kind of antibiotics to treat with? Do I treat all of them since thay are in my qt tank? Will that harm my other fish by treating them with a antibiotic if nothing is wrong with them? He it eating good I feel. He is just swimming funny and getting blowen around. Please help. Dont know what it is.

camp

Now it looks like I have one more wrasse starting to do the same thing. Need help soon before I loose them both or more. All other fish still good.

camp

I am thinking on treating with erythromycin. Is there any impotant thing other than following the directions that I sould know about?

leebca

DON'T treat with Erythromycin. It fights Gram Positive bacteria and only those that are topical. You need a systemic antibiotic that fights Gram Negative bacteria, if you think it's a bladder problem. Our marine fishes usually are infected with Gram Negative bacteria -- when they are infected. Without identifying which it is, go with Gram Negative antibiotics.

"Swimming funny" is not something I can diagnose. If you believe it is a bladder infection, use Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes. TETRACYCLINE is used in freshwater fishes, but it doesn't work in salt water because of the pH of the saltwater.

If the fish is still eating well, get it to eat some de-worming medication just to be sure there are no intestinal track problems. See this: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...worming-marine-fish-super-pooper-snooper.html

:D

camp

Thank for your help. I just started maracyn 2. Can i use a parasite control as well? All that I can find is chem marine stop parasite. Will that work? I can order prazi pro.I cannot find praziquantel anywhere. what would be another alternitive? Should I treat the fish that are not showing any symtoms?

Last edited:

leebca

The link I provided to the post has sources for the meds. You can search using Google, too.

Intestinal track parasites are best gotten to through ingestion of the med.

I can't speak for the combination of the products, but if you e-mail the makers of both and ask, one of them should be able to say if they can be used together.

Don't confuse parasite (surface) meds with internal parasite meds. Read the label as to what it is supposed to do.

All fish should be given the food medication. Intestinal track parasites transmit very easily. Follow the instructions on the med and re-read that post. :)