Wrasse ID please

Cougra

I'm looking for an ID on this wrasse. In the store it was about 3 inches long. Any help will is appreciated!

Attachments

• DSCF1196.jpg
    DSCF1196.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF1160a.jpg
    DSCF1160a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 98

Cougra

I've looked at members of the genus Macropharyngodon but can't seem to figure out which species it is. The only thing I can think of is that it changes colouration as it grows so it may be hard to tell from a photo of a juvenile.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
It is a juv, as shown by the eye spot at the end of the dorsal fin. It will loose that with age. Its pattern and color is that of a M ornatus as Mike suggested.

Bugs

I heard this fish is not easy to care for and it needs at least 1" of sand bed...Nice fish to have if you can keep it.

Boomer

Michelle

That top pic is new correct ? it is now doubt now that it is a juv Ornate Leopard Wrasse Macropharyngodon ornatus

Cougra

Thanks guys for the ID! I thought I posted that before but apparently it disappeared.

lol No Boomer both photos were there when I first posted. I just wanted to give a couple different angels to help with the ID.

Bugs: A lot of wrasse require 2" to 4" of substrate as they dive into the sand at night to sleep and as a defence when frightened. They also do not ship very well because they attempt to dive into the sides of the bags and seriously damage their mouths preventing them from eating. If you can find a good specimen without a damaged mouth and preferably eating and have a deep enough substrate for them they are fairly hardy.

Boomer

I never saw that first pic ?? It must be the way I have the other browser set up pic on top of pic and the way my scrool its set up . On one browser the pics are one on top of the other and on the other browser the pics are side by side. I would have bet a million dollars that there never was that head/body shot :lol: I only noticed it today when using the side by side browser

Yarr

I have a Lunar Wrasse in my BB setup and he is fine without sand to bury in. probably one of the most active fish i have in the tank. zooms around everywhere :)