would these be compatable

I have been wanting and researching about manderin dragonets for a while now and I am thinking about picking one up pretty soon. I just read somewhere that a manderin will get in a fight with a blenny or even kill it is this true? I have a blue spot jaw fish in my tank right now and I really wanted one of both but I do not want to risk either. Thanks for any help.

cbrownfish

It is possible that they will fight to the death. The other problem is that both will be competing for the same food source. They are both dependent on a live copepod population for survival. Unless you have a large mature tank, you would be ill advised if you added both.

1Reefer

Mandarin and blenny? Fighting? Really? Hmmm must do research before buying my mandarin as I have 2 blennys in my tank lol

cbrownfish

Any 2 fish that occupy the same space and have the same feeding habits have the potential for fighting if they are not in a large environment with a ton of territory. There are several species of blennies and some are very different.

1Reefer

Agreed! I just never would have thought a mandarin and a blenny would fight but then I'm thinkin algae blenny (like lawnmower/starry)

My bsjf eats mostly formula 1 pellets I've never seen him eat anything else. I keep him plenty full so would they still fight even if I got the maderin to eat food to? Thanks for all the help.