would i need a......

munki

Do I need a protein skimmer like a Aqua C Remora right now? I have a 55 gallon tank with two small clowns and a few soft coral.....

-Thank you

lcstorc

While I firmly believe that skimmers are wonderful, I would say with that low of a bio-load you could get away without one as long as you keep up on water changes and other maintenance and have a good CUC.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I do believe you can "Get Away" without one but with all due respect we're trying to maintain as pristine water quality as we can and even with that light of a load I believe your tank mates will benefit from a protein skimmer. In all honesty you're probably going to want more critters in there and it's WAY better to have it in place and functional well before it's required. When you get a chance go ahead and get it and learn to "use it" before it's needed and in an urgent state. Your tank will fair far better in the long run.

Allen :)

munki

Right now I have an air stone skimmer. It removes gunk from the water, but I just wanted to know if I need an aqua c remora. I do perform regular water changes.

munki

While I firmly believe that skimmers are wonderful, I would say with that low of a bio-load you could get away without one as long as you keep up on water changes and other maintenance and have a good CUC.

What does CUC stand for?
Thanks

kathywithbirds

Is your airstone skimmer that plastic Lee's jobby? That actually did a pretty good job for me on my 37 gallon, but I did upgrade. You should see all the nasty stuff the aqua c remora pulls out. ick.

munki

alright guys right now i still have a 55g 80 pounds of lr only filteration is an aquaclear.
i have:
colt coral, zoos and button polyps, fuzzy mushrooms, frogspawn, green star polyps and bubble coral.
2 clowns, small yellow tang and a mandarin dragonet.

nitrates,nitrites,ammonia-0
ph-8.4

i was looking at an aqua c remora with a maxi jet 1200, but then i started asking myself if i needed it. i only have a hob filter, but my fish and coral are all real healthy and i have(and almost always had) really nice water conditions......what do you guys think?

o and i use ro/di water for water changes and top-offs....

thanks guys

-i read that the aqua c removes a lot of gunk. if my parameters are the way they are and my live stock is healthy (i have no real algae problems, a few neat banana looking bubble algae) is that gunk really bad?

thanks again guys

lcstorc

Yes the gunk is bad but as long as your paramaters are good and you do frequent water changes then you could be ok. A good skimmer will give you some peace of mind and help things not get out of control if you slack off on the water changes a bit.
Really the key is your water parameters and how things are going with your tank. I would still advise getting the better skimmer but if things are going as well as you say, then obviously you can get away without it at this point. As the fish grow or if you add more this could easily change so be sure to keep an eye on it.