working on hard coral

today i bought a frag of acroporidae genisus to put in my nano reef(14g) will the lighting be sufficent in the bio cube... and has anybody sucessfully had them in their tank

die4lulu

is your lighting the standard 14g bio cube light?
If so then, its not gonna survive. they need really strong lighting. these guys need minimum 5 watts per gallon lighting. T5's or metal halides will work best. so i would say you need to find a lighting system that can provide about 70 watts to keep SPS coral.

I would say i don't think that acroporidae genisus would not do wrll with the lights in a 14 gal cube. That saying i have have a Birdsnest (Seriatopora Guttatus) that has grown real well with my lighting in my 28 gal cube. There are some SPS coral that can be keeped in cubes with CP lights.

Garetjax

GlassMunky

yea, Owning a 14G biocube, the Acros probably will die. I'd try maybe an easier SPS first like a monti cap and see how that does. Honestly if you want SPS in the biocube I'd look at upgrading the lights. nanotuners has some upgrades that will fit in the stock hood. Also, along with the stock lights, the stock pump isnt that strong, only 106GPH, acros need strong intermitant flow, so i''d look into adding another powerhead or seriously upgrading the one in there. The stock biocubes are PERFECT for soft coral tanks in my opinion

GlassMunky

it does. but if your lights arnt strong enough, even with the coral at the very top it will still die sooner or later. you really want T5's,MH, or LEDS for SPS