Wont a simple sump do?

If I am using live rock and sand isn't a simple sump all I need? I see a lot of wet/dry (trickle) filters out there and they seem like they would be a lot of work to keep clean. I have worked in the wastewater treatment field for nearly 30 years now and our trickeling filters slough off a lot of solids that have to be settled out in the final clarifiers. I know it adds oxygen but I can do that in other ways. I just don't see where all those extra solids would be very good for a reef tank. Wont a simple sump do? If so, can you recommend a quality one for our 90 gal. reef tank? Guess I can do one of those DYI sumps.

Thanks, Jim and Tammy

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
My sump is very simple

100_0113.jpg

Jeremy0322

Most people actually prefer your idea of a "simple" sump to that of the wet-dry counterparts. Most wet/dry's use bio balls, which can actually do more harm than good if not kept on a strick cleaning schedule, the simple approach is more natural and can have better long term success in a reef. I would go deeper into this but I have a final, any other questions post away, it will hit my user cp and I will be happy to return in a few hours.

lcstorc

I agree with the above. You are absolutely correct about the trickle filter which is why many of us don't use them. They are just too hard to keep clean and a detriment to the water quality if you do not. Most sumps are a simple container with several baffles to separate compartments and act as bubble traps. Mine happens to be drilled but they certainly don't have to be.

Jeremy0322

Mine isnt drilled, nor was the one I had before that. Both were made from the same 20 gallon long aquarium, consist of a total of 4 baffles making 3 different compartments(bubble trap) and I keep nothing in them but heaters, a return pump, and the fuge, and a skimmer when I get one unless its external, in which case the pump will be in the sump, but I am thinking about adding another one down there when i move for the skimmer, or getting a bigger tank all together. And nowww im just thinking out loud doing nothing to help the question so..:lol:

Im actually thinking of a DIY sump for my 90g as well. but I am not sure if a glass sump with acrylic baffles will work. Im hoping someone can answer that for both you and i. As i heard acrylic bends and/or expands which scares me with a glass tank.

Jeremy0322

Im actually thinking of a DIY sump for my 90g as well. but I am not sure if a glass sump with acrylic baffles will work. Im hoping someone can answer that for both you and i. As i heard acrylic bends and/or expands which scares me with a glass tank.

I have used lexan for both my sumps, which is pretty similar to Acrylic, just alot stronger, and have not had a problem with it at all. It holds fine if you use silicone, thats how mine have all been secured, and it held for a year until i took it down and changes tanks, and they were a PAIN to remove at that time. If you need some PM me and well talk haha

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I use acrylic baffles in my sump and never saw any issues. If the water level is close to the same in all compartments there is no pressure on it.

You can also find a local glass company and have glass panels cut to fit the tank used for the sump. I was not aware of this when I built my sump; may be a better way.

lcstorc

Glass to glass and acrylic to acrylic bonds better but many of us use acrylic baffles in a glass sump without any problems. I have heard of the acrylic expanding and in one case breaking the glass so I always recommend you cut the baffles just slightly smaller than the opening. You can seal it with extra silicone which has flexibility if the baffles expand. Another option is to take 2 thin strips of acrylic and make a channel for the baffle. Then you can slide it in and out for cleaning and such. You would need to put a piece as a stopper under the "up" baffle.

Jeremy0322

I would assume acrylic doesnt really expand, maybe bend a little bit if necessary, but thats part of the reason its stronger than glass. If it expanded by any extreme tanks wouldnt be able to be made out of it, as the expansion would result in the tank falling apart. This is just my logic going right now though, and most of us know its wrong from time to time. :dunce:

Cool. I think i have my answer now. I actually have a 10G DIY sump and its glass with acrylic baffles. I wasnt too worried since it is a smaller tank and didnt know about "bending" or "expanding" at the time.

jgking21

I used Glass for my sump, got the glass cut a Lowes and was real easy. It was like $7 for the glass piece and nothing for them to cut it. Went into a 20 gallon long glass tank.

Bagger, you can see mine in pictures in the link in my signature.

I bet my sump is more simple than anyone's. Too simple in fact. It's a 55g Rubbermaid tub with no baffles. I do have Kent float valves installed into it: one directly from my RODI and the other is gravity fed from a holding tank used for Kalk. The skimmer sits on one side and the return pump sits on the other.

Maybe too simple, and baffles would definitely help with the bubble control, but that's what I've got.