wisdom from the LFS

IceDragon

here are just a few of the wonderful tidbits of information i got from a clerk at a LFS last sunday

1) no algea is photosinthetic so running your lights will not cause an algea bloom

2) If you had just bought IO from us you would not need to check your salinity

3a) a 2 degree tempure flux fom day to night is too much (buy a new heater)

3b) no the temperature in the ocean dosn't change moe than 2 degrees from day to night sunlight dosn't do that

4) no you dont need to seed you fuge with amphipods and copapods ... just get some merical mud that is all you need

5) no mandrine gobies will not depleat the pods in yous main tank 75G is tomuch space for them to eat

6) no tang can live in a 75G tank

7) i dont really know why the 260$ skimmer you bought from us is not making foam sorry

wow all this new unpublished data ... kinda makes you head want to explode
:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

Maxx

Well,
That explains whta I've been doing wrong....
Reminds me of a great line from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"

"Morons, I've got morons on my side."
Nick

i once saw a LFS attandant drop a fish from one of the top tanks (probally around a 10ft fall including the little jump he did, pick it up and bag him telling the customer, oh dont worry, i do that all the time... inspires confidence in me, what can i say. that fish died within 72hrs i came to find out....
Ive also walked into the fish store and saw the whole store flodding, that manager was having an "extended cigrette break" and managed to flood around 250gal of water out into the vegas desert. oim sure that wastn good for the salinity....
Once i saw a customer buy two fish, and they were placed into a bucket for transport, the water in that buket came out of the "fish only" part (so it had redicluous ammounts of copper in it).. he then decided to buy around 90$ worth of shrimp and inverts, and the attendant just chucked them in to the bucket with all the copper watter, closed the lid and sent him on his way... sad.... im sure they were all dead before he made it home. gotta love the LFS...

IceDragon

damn sin ... you LFS is almost as bad as mine

oh btw i went shopping today ... but not for gear or livestock .... i found a new LFS ... i talk to the owner and he seemed to shoot pretty straight, his shop was clean and well maintained, all but one coral looked heathy and the fish where gorgious vibrant and playfull, the invert selection was by order only and a little pricy but i guess you cant have everything

IceDragon

oh i forgot to mention his corals started as low as 19.99 and ther where more than just leathers and shrooms in this price range

nigle

Oi!

These kinds of posts sickens me to no end, probably because I have a very good LFS that I go to, it was the one that got me started with reefing. They are very concerned with everything that goes on and in and OUT of their store, not to say that that is the norm here in NW indiana, there are stores that are just as sad as the one that IceDragon started off with. It is really sad that there isn't some kind of standard knowledge base that all the stores and EMPLOYEES have to attain BEFORE they can sell.

They were talking about this [generally] at IMAC this year,, mostly about the distributers and suppliers, but they did mention some horror stories like this about dealers.

I feel for any of you out there that have to put up with this cr*p. It doesn't do a thing except "push product out the door".

"Would like fries with order?"

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

IceDragon

hey nigle could you throw the name of you store out (phone too plz) ... i am down in ky and already planning a reefing trip to indy for supplies so i might have to make a stop up there

and as for a "standard knowledge base" i think i would settle for common sence. the sun doesn't warm the ocean my arse ... and if you drop my fish i sure as hell aint buying it.

Ladipyg

Now Now...I'm sure the guy that dropped that fish is just going by his own life experience...I mean I am dead sure that guy was dropped on his own head more than once....

IceDragon

hehe ... yeah to bad he doesn't have to wear a sign that reads "dropped on head as baby" :stars: or "aqauticaly challange" :drown: .... would help the less informed customers :crowd:

Last edited:

Craig Manoukian

If there just was some kind of indicator to let people know how qualified the LFS is, like the strength of signal indicator on your cell phone, eh?

nigle

Oi!

Here is the URL to Aquascapes TFE:

http://www.aquascapestfe.com/home.php

They are in Hobart, Indiana.

The web site is well.....cheezy but TRUE REEFERS DUN'T KNOW HUW TO WOK A CPUTITER, Ha! I kid. The store is small, but the people there are really determined to try their best and have about 20+ years of experience. They get their shipments every 2 weeks, sometime it's a bit sparce, sometimes I gave them my paycheck, no telling but they are [IMO] the best in ther area.

If you ask questions the answers will be 95% what we 'think' is right, just don't ask about any live green supplements, you might get an ear full, HA!

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

Curtswearing

Premium Aquatics is in Indy but I think their storefront hours vary as they are mostly mail order. (Every Friday from 2pm-5pm Saturday 12pm - 3pm **Every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month).

Inland Aquatics has more regular hours but they are an hour away from Indy.

NaH2O and Hooked occassionally shop at another reef store in Indy but I can't remember the name. You might want to send them a PM.

You need to remember that most LFS are in business to make money and are just hiring people to fill a schedule that are geared toward retail.

Take PM they train the people somewhat but most everything I hear them say is mostly half truths,. Plus they sell only FW fish.

Just like a house if your foundation is great the house will be ok. The reef tanks foundation is Water quality.

Dave