wiring question--light for tank

Railrider1920

Hi Folks,
I am looking for some help in wiring a lamp set. It is 4 sockets. I will be using spiral fluorescent bulbs. I want to be able to plug them in and have all 4 lights come on at one time, having all the lamps on one cord.

On the side of the bulbs is the following information:
Helical 26 W------------ 26 x 4 = 104 watts (?)
120VAC
60 Hz
390mA ---------------- 390 x 4 = 1560 mA
FLE26HT3/2/D

What I'm mainly concerned with is if I can hook them up like I want to and what size of wire to use. I'd like to use an orange extension cord that I have because the one end is messed up, but I don't know what gauge the wire is. It is a two wire cord, no grounding plug on it. I think that it is 14 or 16 gauge. If I remember correctly, amps are the main thing to be concerned with when deciding on wire size.

Below is a bad diagram on how I want to hook it up.
Thanks for any help offered
Rob
lightingdrawing.jpg

PEMfish

Go worth GOOD lights. Not some useless **** made from garbage that will make your tank look like crap and have no ability to support photosynthetic life. Sorry to sound harsh.

funkpolice

It doesn't sound like you're very "sorry to sound harsh." I don't know the rules on wire gauge and amperage, but I would go heavier than suggested. For some reason I think 15 amps is 14 ga, and 20 amps is 12ga, but I don't know. I'm sure there is someone that will set you straight.
bill

jski711

Funk you are correct on the wire size and amp ratings. However most units run 14 or 16 gauge wires inside the unit from socket to socket. Hth.

Jake