Will glass desk hold fish tanks

AJK

Hi,
I bought a 20 gal tank today, unfortunately LFS do not have any stands priced at under $100.00,. I have a glass computer desk, not using. The glass is approx 1/4" thick,. Desk glass measures, 35 x 24,. I was thinking of placing thick wood between glass and tank, think it will work ? It's a desk from office max if that helps.

Has anyone ever tried this before ? You can alway's pm me too :)

DaveK

Don't even consider it.

A 20 gal tank, once you get it full will weigh about 180 lbs. Build of buy a stand for your tank.

AJK

Thanks, I thought about it, and ordered one online. I'm an impatient person, better safe then sorry.

20nano

well, if u put wood from 1 end of the glass where the legs are to the other end, it might do fine, but if its just the middle where theres no support, it'd be the same without wood. Then again, u have a stand on your way haha, show us a pic when you get it!!!

AJK

Hi,
Thanks friend. I have put fish tanks on glass end tables, with wood frames, and other surfaces like file cabinets, etc... with wood base. My computer desk has thin metal legs. Not strong enough to hold weight of water, put desk together with allen screws. I will surely post up pics of 20gal long, I had also bought a 10 gal for QT. This hobby is expensive :)

20nano

haha yes it sure is expensive, but can you tell me that when you add some new addition to your aquatic box u dont feel a sense of achievement and satisfaction? Thats the joy. Glad you are part of it just like us.