Will feeding Rics encourage them to split?

chipmunkofdoom2

Some people say yes, some people say they never feed their rics. The reason I ask is my one orange/blue-teal Florida has grown a second mouth and I'm just wondering if supplementing it's diet with meaty fare will speed up the process. I only have one of these so I don't want to cut it.

Any input?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They can split for MANY reasons but if it's got a 2nd mouth it may very well already be on it's way to splitting. I've had many split and don't normally "spot feed" any of them.

Keeping your water parameters optimal is the best way to help them along :)

chipmunkofdoom2

Yeah, thanks Al. I was just going to let it go for now since it started on its own without any input from me. I was just wondering if in the future feeding will help move the process along. It's gotta be pretty demanding energetically to literally split one's self in half, even if you are as simple as a coral.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Now that's an interesting way of inducing them to split and one I have not heard of!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've heard of something similar. Place a piece of Rock Rubble under the edge of the ric and once it starts to attach to the new piece lower it to where it's putting constant downward pressure and the ric will self-split. Never done it but saw pics of it "in process" on the web a while back.

:)

chipmunkofdoom2

You could, seeing as how many people frag them like mushrooms and just cut right through the mouth. I just don't want to cut it since it's the only one I have and if it dies, I have no more. I'd like to try to feed it a decent bit and have it split itself a couple times before I put it under the knife.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto :) If you want to make money that's what you'll want to do. They are less expensive because they are more readily available. Keep in mind that MANY had tried making money in this hobby and most have failed. It takes a LOT of $$ to make $$ in this hobby :)

chipmunkofdoom2

Haha, I would love to move right to Yumas, but I'm progressing slowly. I've kept a few mushrooms and now I'm moving up to Rics. When I get some more experience I'll go for the Yumas!

chipmunkofdoom2

Ditto :) If you want to make money that's what you'll want to do. They are less expensive because they are more readily available. Keep in mind that MANY had tried making money in this hobby and most have failed. It takes a LOT of $$ to make $$ in this hobby :)

Haha, yeah I get ya. I'm not looking to make money so to say, or even cover my costs.. if I can just get a few extra bucks here and there out of the tank, I'll be happy.