Why no...

RDrink25

bubble tips? Is my RBTA getting enough light?

P1020075.jpg

Surfnut

If its in an rsm it looks low in the tank. Mine always stayed near the top of the tank under 250 mh. Try moving it up to the middle of the tank for a few days and see how it reacts. It should slowly move itself up the rockwork to a space it finds favorable from there. Try target feeding it mysis, or the like, two to 3 times a week as well. It should perk up nicely.

ReachTheSky

I've read this somewhere.

Bubbly tentacles = more surface area for light to catch.
Stringy tentacles = easier to catch prey.

It's either hungry, not getting enough light or a combination of the two. It could also be from overfeeding because in that case it has no need for photosynthesis.

Don't quote me on it though, I'm not 100% sure if it's true. Makes sense though when you think about it.

BLAKEJOHN

The truth is that know body really knows. None of us hobbiests and none of the scientists.

What you have heard is all speculation dertermined by owners and their thoughts.

There are bta's in tanks with low and high lighting and the nem is not fed, but yet still no bubble tips.

I have mine in dim light and did not feed, no bubbles. Also in high light and did not feed, again no bubbles. And then I kept in in high light and did feed, still no bubles.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

steved13

PREMIUM
The truth is that know body really knows. None of us hobbiests and none of the scientists.

What you have heard is all speculation dertermined by owners and their thoughts.

There are bta's in tanks with low and high lighting and the nem is not fed, but yet still no bubble tips.

I have mine in dim light and did not feed, no bubbles. Also in high light and did not feed, again no bubbles. And then I kept in in high light and did feed, still no bubles.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the answer must be low light and feed. Thanks for solving it. :D I couldn't resist.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The long thin tentacles and the expansion of the oral disk is a clear indication that it's not getting enough light. What are the dimensions of the tank and what type of lighting, how many watts ?
Usually in captivity the BTA's tend to lose the bubble tips and no one really knows for sure why but looking at your photo it doesn't look very healthy IME.

RDrink25

This guy has been near the top of the tank. I just recent moved the rock to the bottom he dosent like to move around very much. My lights are the stock bulbs from the RSM I ordered new ones that will be in next week maybe that will help?

chelseagrin

this is a highly debated subject, theres no proof of the reason why some anemones dont have bubble tips and and some do. i have no idea what could be the reason.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Some BTA's do come from deeper water and don't need strong lighting but that from the looks of it isn't one of them. Your 130d has what 2 55w PC's ?
In my first tank I had a 42gal hex with 130w of PC's and my BTA looked just like yours, here's the photo in my old tank:

86119_1960.JPG

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
This is what my RBTA looked like when I had in under PC's

Attachments

• 7329109_0901.jpg
    7329109_0901.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 121

IPisces

I have a RBT in a stock RSM. Its doing beautifully. It is possitioned at the top of the rocks. I also have one in a 54gal corner tank under t5's and it has set its foot under a rock on the bottom of the tank, and streaches itself up between rocks to reach for the light. They are an unpredictable creature. Yours has great color yet. Looks healthy enough. If it were me, I would reposition it closer to the light and medium but not direct flow.

This is the one in the RSM.

DSC06705.jpg

chelseagrin

new lights may help they may not. the thing is that its just totally random. sure it may have bubbled under one light and none under another. but i have had bubbles in the same tank under same lights in the exact same condition for years and seen them switch back and forth between bubbles and no bubbles. some say they bubble when you feed them, some say its light, some say its water quality, some say its if theyre being hosted or not.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
new lights may help they may not. the thing is that its just totally random. sure it may have bubbled under one light and none under another. but i have had bubbles in the same tank under same lights in the exact same condition for years and seen them switch back and forth between bubbles and no bubbles. some say they bubble when you feed them, some say its light, some say its water quality, some say its if theyre being hosted or not.

The purpose of the photos was not to debate why they bubble or not because there's really no debate, no one knows why it happens there's many theories but that's all they are. My point is if they are long/stringy and the oral disk is expanding that's not a good sign it usually indicates there's not enough light period !

ReachTheSky

When I got mine, he started losing the bubble tips and looked a lot like IPisces when he was on the sandbed. I moved him higher up and he looks super bubbly.

RDrink25

Changed out my lights and realized only 1 of my 2 lights were working. Changed out the bulbs and hopefully he will perk up!

mine has bubbles during the day and then big wavy tentacles at night... just my opinion is that it differs with each specimen, just like fish have different traits/behaviors even though they're the same breed maybe nems have different behavior even being from the same species.

chelseagrin

a bubbleless bubble tip can be just as healthy as a bubbly one. it has nothing to do with how happy and thriving it is. it just differs from one to another.