Why "No" to Macroalgae in Display Tank

krazykat

I just ordered 5 or 6 different macros from John and everything except the chaeto is going in the DT. I personally think it looks more natural with macros and some macros rival the beauty of corals, like the pink galaxies.
Great way to fill in dead spots between corals and rocks. Also some are a great food source for just about everything in the tank except for purely carnivorous fish.
But its definetly a personal preference and one more thing to maintain.

Can you post pictures of your tank with the macros if you already got them in your DT? Thanks!

reefmasta

i use macro algae as my biofilter. i do a 25% water change once a year with alll my tanks. and i set my new system up 8 months ago and nitrates are STILL undetectable. all my macro grows at unbelevable fast paste and when it gets to much a prune most of it out and bring it to the LFS and get money for it =) so its my way to win. save time/effort/money AND gain money by selling it back to the LFS. anyone else relate? haha. no reason should you be a slave to your hobbie.

everwater

i think caulerpa gets a bad rap....i know the grape(racemosa) is known to go sexual but some of the others are really stable.
probably my favorite is c. prolifera...looks great in the display tank and i have never had it go sexual. still a possible tang food.
rhodophytom....is a red fern like algae that is usually too tough for most tangs to eat.....no always available in the hobby but a great deco algae.

BigJay

if you can prune it theres no reason not to have it. Its the people that let it go for months on end that have problems with it. Alot of the species are very hardy , fast growers and good nutrient exporters beyond looking good. Just gotta get in there often and prune. The real downside to it is if a day comes that you decide you don't want it , it can be a pain to rid your tank of it completely.