HELP! Why did this shell change colors?

kelsyleyendecker

Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful! But while on vacation, this empty shell got a makeover. I'm not sure what that is but if it's bad, I'd like to take care of it asap. I just did a 50% water change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dracko

My empty shells have changed color occasionally. Got darker, of lighter, or covered in Coraline. Never thought to ask if anyone else noticed this, but it has never caused a problem. Have had growing crabs take them over.

kelsyleyendecker

d68610e43692859170b83a8601234009.jpg

kelsyleyendecker

It's beautiful but I was worried it could be something bad.

Also, I feel like my "ocean floor" is really dirty. Mr. Crabs isn't working hard enough. LOL But I've tried to siphon the junk but either I take out everything or nothing at all. I'm getting frustrated. Can I leave the floor nasty or what should I do?
b4c3c5407ca00f4d11986cdf3d6fb9ac.jpg

kelsyleyendecker

NitrAtes, nitrites and ammonia are at 0 and pH is around 8.2 or 8.4. Hard to tell. That's all I can test for. Creatures seem active and normal. Water seems clouded than before we had the clown but the pH was much lower back then too.

Marty.h

Your system is new and it goes through a lot of changes till it matures keep ontop of water quality and the sand will clear and everything will fall into place in its own time.

One thing I learnt with marine keeping it can't be rushed just let everything run its course

Marty.h

No its perfectly normal for it to happen you will no doubt get alsorts in the time is settles including

Cyno
Hair algae
Diatoms

To name a few that can all be part of the natural process a system goes through some see the all the above other only see a few every system is different.

Coraline algae can also appear which will give the rocks ect a nice purple colour some people like it others don't I like it myself.

As I said in last reply keep water changes up and water quality good and all should be fine :)