Who's heard of buildmyled.com?

Hey guys! Haven't posted here in a long time! I've since moved over to FW again and stumbled upon a new local company that may be of interest to you guys still on the fence about LED fixtures or was going the DIY route like I was, it's called buildmyled.com. I heard about them via a friend at my LFS. I got ahold of Nick, one of the co-owners, about a new fixture for my latest planted tank. We discussed what I was after and got to see a demo of their fixtures a couple of days later. Needless to say I've been very happy with them, so much so I have 3 in various spectrums and lengths. :)

This one is for a FW tank so don't freak out when you see the build sheet!

I'm going to review my 12" fixture as it's the easiest to photograph because of it's size.

Here's the build sheet:

CustomReportDetails.jpg

What I've learned from my 36" fixture (the first one I ordered) is that despite you really wanting to hit that 480nm and 650nm range you'll end up with a purple light no matter what. So what you have to do is have only a couple of of blues and reds. Further you need to balance out the color more towards the warm range, that's why I used the 4500k and 5900k you see there to achieve something the plants will like and something you don't mind looking at.

For comparison here's my 12" (on the left) and their standard "planted" spectrum:

DSC00336.JPG

DSC00338.jpg

And 6500k spiral CF bulbs:

DSC00405.jpg

Now onto up close pics:

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

The driver pictured here isn't a final version. They have been updating their equipment over the past couple of weeks since I bought my 36". The CAT-5 connector you see here will be molded into the driver in the final version that's coming in 3 weeks give or take. It connects to the dimmer which is a 10v single analog system I believe. As a result you can connect it to most light controllers.

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

This is their manual dimmer for those interested:

DSC00404.jpg

Waterproof connector:

DSC00055.jpg

It's not very big either:

DSC00406.jpg

The hanging attachments slide through here:

DSC00401.jpg

Standard included hanger:

DSC00058.jpg

Ceiling (shelf in my case) mounted option:

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

On the tank:

DSC00386.jpg

Now I just need to plant this tank. :)

Obviously this tank has no plants or anything in it. However my 12g has been running their fixture for 3 weeks as of today (and since planting). The plants are responding very well to it!

12gRescape.jpg

PAR readings:

Right below the fixture under water: 530 PAR
3" below: 390
6" below: 200
12" below: 140
16" below: 90

It's freaking amazing all that comes from that little light!

If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them and if not, I'll forward you onto them!

reefer gladness

Always wish people willing to experiment the best but I agree completely with the above post. Maybe you'll be okay with a freshwater tank that doesn't need much light but this is a classic example of what I wouldn't want over my reef tank.

I chuckled when I read the bit about using the worlds most efficient LED's.

What you posted are kits, very good kits, but kits none the less. This is a fully assembled, fully customizable dimming fixture using (if I remember right) Phillips LEDs that's cheaper.

Always wish people willing to experiment the best but I agree completely with the above post. Maybe you'll be okay with a freshwater tank that doesn't need much light but this is a classic example of what I wouldn't want over my reef tank.

I chuckled when I read the bit about using the worlds most efficient LED's.

The PAR readings I posted are from one single 12" fixture. They were captured with the 75 degree lens. The 60, 45, or 30 degree lens obviously is going to have far more "punch" down low then my 75 any day. Also those PAR readings are double of what you want for a planted tank even with high light plants like me. I have to double or triple my CO2 injection if I want to run the light at 100% to keep up.

I'm just trying to show another available option. The local reef guys were happy with their results, so I figured you guys wouldn't mind knowing about them too.

-J.T.

Edit: BuildMyLED vs T5 - Page 2 - Reef Keeping - Austin Reef Club - Page 2

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for the information JT! That sounds like a good option to add to the list for people wanting an inexpensive fixture without the DIY aspect.

:)