Who to add next?

As most of you know, I had to take my lion to LFS due to feeding issues with a wrasse & puffer. Well the wrasse died, lion still at LFS & my stars & stripes puffer is absolutely so lonely & bored I think he's getting depressed! I'm almost 100% positive I'm gonna leave the lion where he is (had him for 2 years, it's a sentimental thing) So I was was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a new tank mate for him. It would have to be a pretty big fish, puffer is around 11" and the tank is a 125 gal. I always wanted a trigger, but never could have one b/c of the lion, but I really dont know much about them. Suggestions please?!

lcstorc

That's a big puffer.
I love the idea of a trigger. There are some gorgeous ones available.
Do you have any pics of the puffer posted? I would love to see him.

CopyofFishpics11-13008.jpg

Fishpics11-13012.jpg

The triggers I was thinking about is a Queen, Blue Lined or Clown, but I really dont know that much about them, researching now. After having lions in the tank for so many years, I'm looking for colorful & movement. I really liked the wrasse, so thats always an option too. I've already informed hubby one day when we can afford it, I want another tank that will be lion only, just dreaming for now. I know most everyone on here is mostly reef, but ideas or a fish you always wanted but cant have b/c it's not reef safe is the ideas I'm looking for. My 55 is a reef in progress, but I still love the interaction with the big boys for the 125 gal. Got to have the best of both worlds!

yungreefer2410

th queen gets very big. would need that tank to his/herself. also aggresive. i don't know much about triggers but just a google would prob solve that

Phreek

I think the picasso's are awesome looking, always seem to be pretty chill when I see them. What about a bursa? or an undulate? Nigers are also pretty cool.

barbianj

The triggers I was thinking about is a Queen, Blue Lined or Clown

The three triggers you have listed are potentially the three most aggressive triggers. Add an Undy and you may have the top four.

A Picasso or Goldheart may work out better.

Thank you so much for all the replies! I still havent decided anything yet. The lion is still at the LFS & I can get him back if I want. There is another customer that is interested in him, he has a 180, plus a marine pond & has lions. Soon as the LFS owner gets in touch with him, he may have a bigger, nicer home. All I know is he has to go to a good home. If I do get a new fish, was maybe thinking about a another wrasse & a not as aggressive trigger as you all said. I really dont know much about triggers b/c for the 5 + years I've been doing this I've had the lion & a trigger has never been an option.

I had forgotten about this thread. Too bad you cant see him in person, that fish is a trip!

Hey Scott, you wanted to see pics of my hand when I got stung but the lion, but I didnt take any, here's a pic of what a puffer can do. It was taken several days later, but it literally took out a plug except for one side, I just popped it back it & it healed beautifully, lol.

bite.jpg

No, it was me just being careless (I'm not anymore). He actually wouldnt eat anymore that night after that. Took me days to get him to start eating out my hand again, unless I just dropped the food in. It was almost like he knew that wasnt the right thing to do, but it was my fault. Fish are smarter than we think.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I would assume that it startled you and when you jerked your hand away, it startled him. I'm happy that you gained his trust back.

Yes, they are smarter than we think. In fact, they know more about living in their environment than we do!

ouch look like it hurt
Have you seen what an anenome sting looks like its bad almost like a rash I had someone on the internet I knew that had 10 btas and was cleaning the tank and got stung.

ok back on topic
yeah the triggers are nice but some are really mean or get big

tangs are kinda docile but if you get the right one it may fit
probably not though