Who said free can't be a good thing?

puffermike

So, I got a phone call from a friend of mine who said a friend of mine was giving away an aquarium for free. He said it was "huge". I've heard this before. I can't pass up a good deal, let alone free.. So on my way to go spy on the free goods he sent me a picture.

image_zps9a064b27.jpg

So, I'm like oh nice looks like a 65 high that needs a razor blade and maybe resealed. WRONG

This this is 36 High, 36 Wide and 26 Deep. It's about 130gs roughly. Obviously a custom made tank. I'll be filling it soon to check for leaks and possibly resealing it if it needs done.

20140301_193027_zps9243ec01.jpg

Only question now is... what do I put in this.... Needs a custom stand and it's pre-drilled with four 1" holes. Kind of strange that there are four of them though. All in a row.

reefle

That's a nice catch for a free tank! but I must warn you....deep tanks are a pita.

I set up a new tank cause my 31.5" deep tank was giving me problems with flow and everytime a coral dropped to the bottom or in between my rock work it was near impossible to get out.

If you do like fish only, I think it would look really sweet though!

Steve L

Have to agree with reefle. That's a heck of a deep tank for a reef unless you have some amazing (and expensive) lighting. It would be a very cool FOWLR tank, perhaps predators?

puffermike

I have a 110g and it really is a pita.... This one I lterally would have to dunk my head inside to reach the bottom luckily the 110 is FOWLR. Probably will do this the same.

Wonder what I can do with the four 1" holes for bulkheads.

DaveK

Good find on the tank. You should be able to do something nice with it.

However, before you get all involved in it, consider that the tank is the least expensive part of the hobby. By the time you add lighting, filtration, a stand, and any other stuff you want, you will have spent almost as much as a whole new tank setup. Consider carefully before you invest your time, effort, and money into it.

Also, if your trying to keep costs down, this tank could be a good candidate for a FW system or other low cost system.

puffermike

Good find on the tank. You should be able to do something nice with it.

However, before you get all involved in it, consider that the tank is the least expensive part of the hobby. By the time you add lighting, filtration, a stand, and any other stuff you want, you will have spent almost as much as a whole new tank setup. Consider carefully before you invest your time, effort, and money into it.

Also, if your trying to keep costs down, this tank could be a good candidate for a FW system or other low cost system.

Dave you gave me a great idea... I've been trying to find a really tall tank for my brackish waterfall setup and reading you post gave me the idea that this tank would be ideal for a brackish setup. I can brink back the waterfall I had before and maybe I can utilize the four holes for this setup....

LSUFireGal

Was going to say seahorse tank but then I saw the actual gallonage. Lol. Maybe a predator tank? You could get some cool rock work in there for an eel maybe.