who keeps gorgonians

mps9506

I don't but for the last year I've seen some really cool ones online.
I'd love to see pictures of any that have been kept long term in your aquariums.
Also what do you do to take care of these guys? Food, flow, lighting, water quality etc? I know very little about taking care of these fellas.
Mike

ReefLady

Staff member
Hey, you took my thread!

I've been meaning to ask the exact same things. I love the look of a tank accented with some nice gorgs.

mps9506

lol...
I'd love to keep some, but I have the feeling they wouldn't do so hot in my high flow bare bottom low nutrient tank.
I could be wrong though. I really know very little about these guys.
Mike

Witfull

had this guy of over 6 months

19gorgon-med.jpg

and this encrusting gorg for over a year.

19briarium-med.jpg

mps9506

Wit,
what do you do to keep this guy happy?
19gorgon-med.jpg

Those are the ones I can't get enough of. Is there any way to differentiate between photosynthetic and filter feeding types? Is one or the other easier to take care of?

Witfull

nothing,,,i dont feed my tank all he gets is frim the glass being cleaned and what the fish recycle for him...also he is in HIGH FLOW zone,,conatantly waving. under actinics no photosynthetics dont glow.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have 2 gorgonians. The brown gorgonian was attached to a ricordia rock I purchased and the briarium is a frag from Witfull. I don't feed either one and they are in a very high flow rate.

Brown Gorgonian (Muricea fruticosa)
61Brown_Gorgonian_Muricea_fruticosa_-med.JPG

61Brown_Gorgonian_Muricea_fruticosa_macro-med.JPG

Briarium asbestinum
61101_8216-med.JPG

Last edited:

FishyinKY

I keep about 10 different kinds of gorgonians. If it posts here is the blue one.

Attachments

• openblue (small).jpg
    openblue (small).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 87

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ohhh my... that blue one is beautiful!!!! How do you care for it? I would love to have one.

FishyinKY

Hey Woodstock, I got mine from Forestal. I have a refugium feeding my tank but other than that I don't do anything except feed the tank. I had to change the tank it was originally in because my maculosis angel thought it was dinner.

forestal

Doni,

I have had the blue for 2 months now...the main colony took a hit, but my frags are slowly growing...I feed them DT's and cyclopeeze every other day and they and the other non photosynthetic gorgs seem to do great

Gina

RS STAFF
Doni,
Great gorg! Congrats on your purchase! I really would love to get one of these guys. Have to resist the urge right now. Wait till the holidays are over and I reaquascape! RESIST! RESIST! LOL