Who Has Discus for many years in a planted?

Jblaise

I have a 46 Gallon Bowfront Tank and wanted to do drift wood in the middle.. soil in back of tank for plants and sand in front for no growth. I need to know what filtration could i hook up that would be good for keeping discus and what lighting needed to grow plants in a 36". I'm thinking of keeping 3 discus, 5 cardinal tetras, 1 small pleco in it. Most people use 55 but I already have the 46. What do I need to make a lasting discus tank?

degibson84

my father in law has about 15 discus in a 220 with a river rock bottom with drift wood and plants. he just keeps the plants in the planters and burrys them in the river rock. His filtration is two marineland biowheel filters and a canister filter. For lighting he uses multiple T5 bulbs with a variety of color spectrums

SubRosa

Discus are very social fish and should be kept in groups larger than 3, unless pairs are maintained for breeding purposes. The problem is that a 46 and even a 55 is a bit small to maintain a group of say a half dozen. It can be done, but be prepared to change A LOT of water VERY often if you do so. For a truly lasting setup, wait until you can afford a bigger tank.

PEMfish

Plecos will knock your plants around, and they get big.

Discus in a 46g will mean alot of large water changes as stated above.

The soil and sand will eventually mix, make your choice now. And sand dose not stop plants from growing, it wont create a boundary.

The pot-baskets that plants come in are two small for long term growth, and that fiber stuff they use in them is no good.