Who ate my crab?!?!?

BrothaWolf

UGH! This is 2 stressful I found another crab face with legs attached... looks 2 violent to be a molt and I can only find 5 of my 10 crabs.... but i dont see their shells lyin around either....

lcstorc

Sorry to hear that. Mine did tend to molt around the same time and hide afterwards but I agree I would be concerned as well. Have you checked your paramaters? Inverts are intollerant of low salinity I know. Do you have a sump or overflow? I would try removing the ones you can find and then you would be better able to tell what is and is not there. The molts do usually have the legs which freaked me out the first time. Basically it looked like I had two half crabs dead in the tank. It was really one molt. Front half and back half.
Hope that helps some. Meanwhile hope for the best and keep your eyes open for a crab eating critter. Can't be Witfull unless you are in Houston since he is at MACNA. :)

BrothaWolf

LOL Nope Im in NY so Wit is off the hook... Ive only found the fronts of the crabs with the eyestalks attached which is what is concerning me All my params are spot on ... but I see your point they could be dying and then gettin eaten... whats the # for the crab police?

reefjitsu

Generally, when something eats them, there is nothing left but an empty shell. When they molt, they do molt everything, including the eyestalks. I would suspect that you are seeing molts.

BrothaWolf

reefjitsu said:
Generally, when something eats them, there is nothing left but an empty shell. When they molt, they do molt everything, including the eyestalks. I would suspect that you are seeing molts.

You people with the molt votes maybe right... I went down to Dover for the race this weekend, stayed a few extra days and everyone in the tank seems happy and alive.... least all my favorites are still alive anyways... my 2 shrimp are there and my fighting conch bunch of hermies still alive and my snails... so far so good

boozeman

woohooo!!!
:whstlr: :whstlr: :whstlr:
amazing how long things can go on hidden and unnoticed in a reef!
party on brotha!

BrothaWolf

Oh and for all you in the "Crabs are Delicious Society" hit Hoopers in Ocean City Maryland!!! All you can eat CRABS!!!!!

lcstorc

Great news! Glad all are well.
Trying the west coast crabs ATM. I believe Dungenous is on the menu for tonight. I did have blue crab last weekend. LOL Yes, I take the "crabs are delicious society" quite seriously at times. Grin

BrothaWolf

blondie323 said:
I get legs all the time ...usually just a molt
Ya it was the faces with the eyestalks that were throwing me off... I found 2 faces but there is only one crab missing from the nightly count so I will just have to assume he is using his camo skills and blending in... all you crab eaters are off the hook.... but im watching you!