HELP! White spiderweb floating in reef tank

adamsfour

I have a string line white filament/ spider web floating in my tank. Water is clear and coral seem happy. Alkalinity is 11.3, calcium 395 , mag 1350. Any idea what it is and how to get rid of. I recent removed an over grown coral and was wonder if it’s a stress reaction by the remaining portion of the coral

DaveK

It's hard to tell with out pictures, but my first guess would be vermitid snails. They are fitler feeders and create a net out of their mucous to capture small prey. The usually look a bit like a small tube worm.

These nets can damage corals, but if you see just one or two it's usually not an issue. If you see a lot, then it's best to work on getting rid of them.

Here is an offsite link to an article on them - https://reefbuilders.com/2012/07/23/vermetid-snail-stony-corals/

adamsfour

Thanks not sure as the filament stuff is floating in tank and I don’t see anything. I thinking it’s a reaction to a coral I pulled out about a week ago as it start right after that. But will look and try to post a picture.