HELP! White spiderweb floating in reef tank

Discussion in 'Red Sea Max Owners Club' started by adamsfour, Sep 10, 2019.

1. adamsfour

adamsfour Member

I have a string line white filament/ spider web floating in my tank. Water is clear and coral seem happy. Alkalinity is 11.3, calcium 395 , mag 1350. Any idea what it is and how to get rid of. I recent removed an over grown coral and was wonder if it’s a stress reaction by the remaining portion of the coral

2. Brittle star 11

Maybe you witnessed a spawning event

3. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell with out pictures, but my first guess would be vermitid snails. They are fitler feeders and create a net out of their mucous to capture small prey. The usually look a bit like a small tube worm.

These nets can damage corals, but if you see just one or two it's usually not an issue. If you see a lot, then it's best to work on getting rid of them.

Here is an offsite link to an article on them - https://reefbuilders.com/2012/07/23/vermetid-snail-stony-corals/

4. adamsfour

adamsfour Member

Thanks not sure as the filament stuff is floating in tank and I don’t see anything. I thinking it’s a reaction to a coral I pulled out about a week ago as it start right after that. But will look and try to post a picture.