White fuzz/hair on dry rock

BTimmons

Picked up some dry rock from a local forum member. I thoughts one of it appeared to have some salt crystals on it. Upon further inspection, some rocks have this white crystalline hair or fuzz on them. Rock is completely dry. I saw some posts about stuff that looks sort of similar on live rock, chrysophytes, not sure if this is the same thing just dried out? Any help appreciated.
bd6175080384186603fd201192bfd5fe.jpg
d48315561ff05f68b61ff371af954a3e.jpg

DaveK

I can't be 100% sure, but I think what you have is rocks that had some algae growing on them, and as the salt crystallized on the rock it did the same thing on the algae. This would likely have killed the algae so you don't have to worry about that.

I would not want to introduce this stuff to a new tank. I'd fill a container with hot water, put the rocks in and let it stand overnight. Then remove the rocks and scrub them with a new scrub brush. This way you'll be starting with clean rock.

soco

Ya i agree with Davek. Looks like salt build up. Soak it and scrub it!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BTimmons

Thank you guys for your advice. I thought it was salt but I've just never seen it form like that. Figured I should ask people with knowledge exceeding my own.