white blotch on clownfish

Janka

This white blotch started pretty small and over a year has increased in size. My sharknose goby loves to pick at it. Any ideas what it could be?

DSCN2447.jpg

DaveK

If I just saw the picture with no explanation, I'd say Brooklynella. However, since you have had this for a long period, and your goby picking at it, I'm going to guess and say that it's a wound.

Has your clown been hosting in anything? Some corals and anemones that don't host clowns can sting clowns.

Tillerman

I had the same kind of growth on my clowns side. Appeared to be a wound from a scrape. Lured him to the top, netted him,layer him on a wet towel,wiped the excess off with a Qtip and dabbed the wound with iodine on the other side of the Qtip. Wound healed and growth never reappeared. Got the idea from another reefer and it really workers well. Much less stressfull than quarantining for treatment.

Janka

I had the same kind of growth on my clowns side. Appeared to be a wound from a scrape. Lured him to the top, netted him,layer him on a wet towel,wiped the excess off with a Qtip and dabbed the wound with iodine on the other side of the Qtip. Wound healed and growth never reappeared. Got the idea from another reefer and it really workers well. Much less stressfull than quarantining for treatment.

Sounds like a good idea! I'll have to stop and pick up some iodine and give it a try tonight.