Which tank to choose!

JasonSussex69

Hello Reefers.
Please can you advise which is better for a first timer the RSM S series or Reefer series? I love the RSM S650 but have heard that for the same money you can set up a reefer system with even better equipment? Please help.....

DaveK

To answer your specific question, it is more of a personal choice. There are advantages and disadvantages either way. There really is no clear winner here. It comes down to what you like about each system, Keep in mind that there are often very subtle differences between these systems. How much do these differences make to you? for example the Reefer system uses ultra clear glass and is of a rimless design. Some peole love this. To others it makes little difference.

Since this is your first time, I'd recommend not going all in with a large system to start with. That RAM 650 is great, but it also means you have a massive job to tear it all down and start over if you make a beginner mistake. I think you'd be better off starting with something like a MAX e-170 or e-250 and run it for a few years, gaining experience, and also seeing if this hobby is for you. Then when it comes to the next system, you can go all out.

SPR

Hello Reefers.
Please can you advise which is better for a first timer the RSM S series or Reefer series? I love the RSM S650 but have heard that for the same money you can set up a reefer system with even better equipment? Please help.....
The S Series without doubt in my personal opinion. If I bought another tank now with experience, I would still buy the S650 over any other system and it’s still the flagship of the Red Sea range.

I new absolutely nothing about fish tanks when I started and I created a living reef with the stock equipment. Yes you can change the skimmer etc if you want but you don’t have to.

The other thing is, everything is hidden away so it’s a beautiful piece of furniture in your home rather than wires and pumps showing everywhere.

I appreciate what Dave says about the size and mistakes etc., which is very true, so you will need to know what your doing and read everything. Apart from 2 months with an E260 I went big from the start and never regretted it one bit as it’s easier to control water parameters.

If you want to see some then look under the Max Owners section or my build thread below.

Last edited: