Which tank for newbie? BC29, NC24dx, or AP24?

INreef

Hello,

I am new to saltwater, from freswater and would like to sart my first reef tank. Due to size and financial constraints I can't Go Large. Besides I like the idea of a nano. I would like 2-3 fish, some coral (soft and maybe hard in the future), and a shrimp and cleanup snails. I would like to be able to mod my tank in the future with upgraded lights, and think I will need a protein skimmer as well. I was leaning toward the BC29 due to the extra size cushion, but heard the fans were noisy:bugout: , Then the NC24dx sounded nice but I was worried about cracking:doh: . Then I heard the AP24 wasn't as nice a fit and finish as the others. So now what???:confused:

Help!

- Bret

saltwaterfarm

I have the BioCube... fan wasn't that noisy. I have since replaced the hood with a sunpod unit. I only did that for my anemone. Everything else in the tank was just fine. There are a bunch of Mods on this site for the BioCube.

I like the look of mine with the stand. It seems to look a lot more stable than the Aqua Pod stand.

BrothaWolf

Nother BC29 here... my fans werent noisy either. Ive since upgraded them and have them on a controlable powersupply that lets me adjust the speed and by doing so the noise also. I have yet to spin them down though as the noise is negligible. I had the AP24 and like the finish on the biocube better. Both are nice. You would be happy with either one. It just a matter of $

blue02celi

I've also been looking at nanos recently, I was also looking at Finnex M tanks (they have 20g and 32g versions, but are kinda pricey). I guess the question to ask is, for those who have these nanos, what are the pro's and cons of the one you have?

daveat

i have the 24 nc and have been very happy with it, other than the first stressful weeks of hearing about them cracking and not getting sleep. they have thickend the glass on the newer models of NC to reduce cracking.

if i were to do it all over again i would make my own (which i am as an additional tank)

use whatever size tank you want, for about 150 you can get some killer lighting such as this and for another 150 you can get something like the Tunze reefpack here

the initial invest. might be a touch higher but you would have more room for upgrading and you would have lighting and a protein skimmer that would allow for growing all types (LPS, SPS, Softies) of corals.

just my .02, btw i am very happy with my NC, it has been running for a year now with NO problems, and houses a large group of Xenias, (which have made me lots of money) a large group of multiple mushrooms, a fungia plate coral, a Flame Angel, a Yellow watchmen Goby, a false perc. several snails, a peppermint shrimp, and several large feather dusters.

the worst part about my tank is that somehow i haven't changed water in about 2 months but the damn water quality still tests perfect

if you would like i'll post a recent picture, but i should have some older pictures online you can look at

Last edited: