Which size tank should I get?

newsalt

I want to eventually upgrade my 15g high tank to something larger. Due to space limitations in the room where the tank will be, I can only fit a tank that is a maximum of 32 in. long without rearranging all the other furniture. Unless I'm wrong, that would rule out 30g, 40g long, 40g breeder, and 50g. Which leaves me with two choices, a 20g long or a 37g both of which are both 30" long and 12" wide. The 37g is about 10" taller than the 20g, but I've read that it's not really water volume that you're after, but length. So the extra 10" height of the 37g really doesn't do anything for me right? Now here's the thing, a buddy at work has a 20g long he's looking to get rid of. I can have that for free or I can go out and buy a new 37g. Compared to my current 15g high, how many more fish will I be able to get if I take my friends 20g or buy the 37g? Any advise? And no, I can't buy a new house. :)

Thanks

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I'd still go with the 37, you can have maybe one more small fish in the 20 than the 15. Water volume does still come into the picture, and you could put a dwarf angel in the 37 safely.

Cougra

There is also a 29High available with a 30" x 12" by 18" footprint you could consider.

If this is going to be a fish only tank then the more water you have the better so I would go for the 37Gal but you will need to make sureyou have excellent water circulation to help aid in oxygenating the water.

If you want to go reef, the depth of the tank will make a difference. It'll require stronger lighting in the deeper tanks that you will need to take into consideration as well.

As for more fish, what kind of fish would you LIKE to have? It'll be easier to make a plan around what you like then just suggesting a random number of fish you can have in the tank. Every fish is different and needs different requirements.

newsalt

After I posted the message, I noticed that a 29g was also available. It will be a FOWLR tank as it currently is. Right now in the 15g high I have 2 ocellaris clowns and a Coral Beauty Angel. The clowns are probably an 1" long and the Angel maybe 1.5" long (give or take). I really don't want anymore in the current 15g. However, If I went with the 29g or 37g, I would hope to add maybe 2 more fish. Maybe a Royal Gramma and maybe a Rainford Goby.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I'm gonna eventually buy a custom made acrylic tank because of tha same problem. It's gonna be 32x24x20 so that's an option for ya to get a custom tank. Mine is going to be about 66 gal. HTH;)

Maxx

Rainfords are pretty tough, I would reccomend doing more research on them prior to purchasing. Royal Grammas on the other hand are hardy and cheaper too. If this is going to be a FOWLR I would go w/ the 37. The reason for that is the added water volume will give you more stability and will help you out in the long run. If you even remotely think that you could go w/ a reef eventually, I would go 29 or 20....lighting does become an issue to consider w/ deeper tanks.
JMO,
Nick

jks1

I have the 29 tall, and it is a great tank. I light it with one 150W HQI MH and a couple of 15W actinics. I have a Maroon clown, Royal Gramma, 6 line Wrasse, and a seaweed blenny and I dont have any nitrate problems you might see w/ overstocking- HTH

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I like the look of a taller tank, I would go for the 37. I have a 29 right now (30X12X18) its all right, but I am looking to go bigger (48X24X30)

newsalt

Maxx:

So are you saying if someday I might want to add an Anemone I should go 29 or 20? Does the addition of an Anemone mean it's a reef tank? I don't know.

Thanks.

newsalt

fidojoe:

In your first reply, you said you'd go with the 37 gal. Then, in a later reply, you said you like the 29 gal. I value everyone's opinion. Did you switch when you found that it will be FOWLR?

Thanks