Which of Randys Mg dosing recipe?

BobBursek

I have read all of Randy;s articles and I think since I dose about 5qts of Kalk a day I should and am using the 7 1/4cup Mag Chloride and 3/4cup Mg sulfate to 1gal of RODI water for my Mg dosing. I do add just Calcium Chloride when needed. Is this the right Mg recipe for dosing Kalk? Not the 5 to 3 Mg chloride to Mg sulfate.

DaveK

I would say that before you dose anything, measure your current water and see what your current readings are. IMHO there is no simple formulas to use when using supplements or additives. You must test first, and then adjust.

If the levels are not ok, then raise them using one of the various additives or DIY solutions. Continue until they are within normal range. If you can not get them into a normal range, you have a completely different problem.

If the levels are ok, then wait a week or two, and measure again. Note any drops in readings. Continue any normal water change schedule.

Then figure out the amount of additives or DIY solutions needed to bring the water back to where you want it. You are better off doing several small additions, waiting, and testing again.

Once you know what the rate of depletion is and how much you need to add to get it back, you can then add what you need to your makeup water, one way or another.

If you can't measure it, don't add it. You are bot going to get into serious trouble by not adding anything, as long as you keep up regular water changes, but you can quickly create a disaster by adding items without knowing how much you really need.

BobBursek

Thanks Dave but I am beyond that point. I test for anything I add, but Randy has 2 different Mg recipes. one is more designed if you are dosing Kalk, then if you are dosing Calcium chloride. That is my question because when I have read his articles I believe for Kalk it is the 7-1 to help keep sulfates down.
Boomer, have not seen you around anywhere lately, hope all is fine. Low PH is no longer a problem in the winter since I quite smoking this Oct!

DaveK

Ok, I see your point.

Considering that it doesn't seem that too many people on RS are into this sort of issue with dosing Mg, I think you might get a better answer asking your question on reef chemistry area of Reef Central. They seem to have a lot more people into more "exotic means" of keeping a reef system. One other thought about RC, the members can be a bit nasty if you haven't done your homework up front.

Usually I will not recommend another message board, but it's already been a couple of days here, and so far, no one, not even me, has answered your question.

BobBursek

I am laughing at your last reply!!!! I was one of those "nasties" when I was drinking my 3-4th Martini. I have repented my ways but lost my RC privileges!!!!! My loss. But the best Chem Forum out there, we are luckey to have Boomer here which is big over there too so he carries over alot of Randy's and Bertoni's stuff here. I did get the answer this morning over there when someone else was looking for the simular answer, since I do read the forums over there. If dosing Kalk or a Ca reactor, 7 1/4c Mg Chloride and 3/4 c Mg Sulfate to one gallon of RO/DI water, but if dosing those and still adding some pure Calcium Chloride occasionally, then mix 7c Mg Chloride and 1c Mg Sulfate to mimic the ion balance of NSW.