Which is better for a Nano

What would be more interesting to keep in a Nano

• Total voters

JasonL

I am interested in knowing what everyone thinks would be more interesting in a nano reef. I plan on purchasing one of the the following. I will let Reef Sanctuary decide on which one that will be. They will be placed into a 14 Gallon BioCube. (In Italy of course)

mps9506

I personally wouldn't recomend an anemone in that size tank. I'm a huge fan of pistol shrimp/goby pairs. Fun to watch.

JasonL

I too voted on the Pistol with Goby because the relationship between the two is simply cool to watch.

Gina

RS STAFF
My vote....Pistol Shrimp/Goby.
I saw a pair once at a not so local fish store and was half tempted to get them!

Gibeon

Gina said:
I saw a pair once at a not so local fish store and was half tempted to get them!

Out of curiosity, are these generally rare to find at an LFS? Mine tends to have at least half a dozen to a dozen pair at any time.

The pistol shrimp are fun to watch, as they seem to constantly maintain the burrow - scooping sand out of the hole and piling it up away from the entrance.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I agree with Mike an Anemone in a nano not a good idea IMO. I had a pair of Yellow watchman Gobies with a Tiger Pistol and I really miss watching those guys together, they were alot of fun.

Frankie

RS STAFF
clowns/anemone btw. I like to be different with trying stuff thats hard to do. I had in NY anemones living under pc's in a 30 gal clown tank and the anemones even split. 14 gallons is small though for an anemone.

JasonL

FFrankie, Im in Columbia right now. Will be leaving to go to Italy in Nov. Are you ready for this Hurricane. I dont think we will get much of it...Hopefully.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I got the generator all hooked up to the house if the power go's out. Looks to be mellowing out now but were in its path of fire it seems.

boozeman

is it possible to have a pair of clownfish, a variety of colorful ricordias and a pair of harlequin shrimp?

billyr98

boozeman said:
is it possible to have a pair of clownfish, a variety of colorful ricordias and a pair of harlequin shrimp?

a mated pairs of clowns is possible... but multiple clownfish are really tought to get along sometimes... they are a damsel! :doh:

JasonL

Harlequin shrimp are nice but they have a need for live star fish which has kept me at bay from getting any. Maybe one day...

Hill

Does the goby not need access to live foods. I have been thinking of purchasing one but do not want it to deplete my pods. I already have one mandrin in a 120 gallon tank with about 70kgs of live rock.

I voted clowns with surrogate shrooms by the way. But you cannot be guaranteed that they will host. In fact my clowns don't even go close to my anemone.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Hill said:
Does the goby not need access to live foods. I have been thinking of purchasing one but do not want it to deplete my pods. I already have one mandrin in a 120 gallon tank with about 70kgs of live rock.

No most Gobies don't need live foods to survive, but the gobies that form simbiotic relationship with Pistol Shrimp are sand sifters and will eat the infauna on the SB so if you have a DSB these aren't recommended.