which fish is the hardiest?

Which fish is the hardiest for a new predator tank?

• Total voters

Snelly40

wow, im not evtirely sure, some tangs are very tough but so are a lot of triggers. I know my dad's yellow tang beats up his trigger but some triggers are very very tough and mean plus they can be really cool looking. I think a trigger might be a great mix for ya. good luck but im gonna follow along as well b/c im unsure about some of the ones listed.

Malibureefer

I started cycling a predator tank and put in a large rabbit fish, a grouper and a 4 small damsels to help the cycling. The ammonia spiked way high and all the fish got really sick. The damsels all died. I moved the rabbit fish and the grouper to my quarantine tank and the rabbitfish hung on for a couple more days and then died. The grouper, which looked almost dead, made an amazing come back and looks as good as new.

Cartman89

Morays with out a doubt! They can stand nitrates, ammonia, nitrites, pH,ect.! One eel I had jump out of the tank one night and I found him on the floor the next morning. He was still alive! So the moray gets my vote.

Snelly40

haha, wow, i know they are tough but im just not a uge fan so i didnt vote, call it biased but that is amazing that he survived on ur floor like that

BoomerD

Triggers are tough enough to withstand the torture of cycling tanks. Back in the day, it was a fairly common practice to use them instead of damnsels...

Cartman89

BoomerD said:
Triggers are tough enough to withstand the torture of cycling tanks. Back in the day, it was a fairly common practice to use them instead of damnsels...

or eels...:lol:

reefjitsu

Lionfish, morays, triggers are probably the most hardy.

A word of caution about "predator" tanks: Choose your livestock very carefully. Often people mean aggressive or territorial when they talk about setting up a predator tank. They are looking for "tough-guy" fish. Many of the large predatory fish that are common to this hobby are not all that aggressive. When put in a tank with a territorial or aggressive fish, they end up being harrassed, stressed and dead.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Yes, they do fine. I just posted that and a Lion on the other thread. Triggers can be very agressive

reefjitsu

Panther groupers are a great hardy fish, but they get huge! They will do best with other peaceful large predatory, but not aggressive or territorial species. Out of your list of fish, I would go with other groupers, lionfish, and maybe an eel for tankmates.

music man

moray eel doesnt even need water they can live anywhere in mudflats or in fresh water they can eat anything from meat to fruit and grasses, they can live atleast 24 hrs without water even dried up starting to get "crunchy" (trust me I know) and make a full recovery in no time. but.. they probably also out live some owners so they are an investment that can grow to 6' in length and weigh as much as a 75lbs. then one day when everything is going well the tank is perfect the whole set up is in perfect harmony, the litle sucker dissapears for good??? where does a 15lb moray go?? I don't know he never stunk or anything they are alcatraz escape houdine artists. I think he snuck out the door and got snatched by raccoons or cats?

semigodd154

I think the panther grouper i had was bullet proof made it through ick outbreaks 2 power outages and a move def.an awesome fish but need a large tank

kyle1284

DAMNsels are by far!!! Mine have withstood 2 cycling peroids AND STILL LIVE! one of my friends is starting a saltwater tank and so i gave him 2 of my DAMNsels cause there were way to aggressive to my other fish..... hoping that he would A. keep them or B. they would go to fish heaven.... neither happened and now i have them again..... so DAMNsels get my vote BY FAR!!

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have always used damsels to cycle my tanks and have never had any issues, and you cant beat the cost if there were any. Depending on the tank size you can put a couple and they will do well and add some nice color varation as well. The yellow tail, Chromis and stripped are very attractive and blend well with triggers.

Tokey

I vote Damsels I was diving in Mexico and I was taking a breather by sitting on a large rock when this little damsel swam over and bit me on the leg :bugout: I guess that rock was his home so I moved :away:

fishheads

No One Mentioned Harliquin Tusk....ive Had Great Luck With Them....an Exceptional Fish Thats Colorful And Hardy.