Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 Wrasses-1 Convict Tang-1 Blenny-2 Clowns

• 5 Wrasses-1 Blenny-3 Bartlett's Anthias

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

I got my 65G and will soon have to decide on a type of fish for a school of 5 fish. Which one would a be a better candidate. The other fish in the tank could be; 1 convict tang 1 blenny 2 clowns and their anemone.

Wich combination would be better, You choose.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
1 convict tang 1 blenny 2 clowns and their anemone.

You are already at your stocking limit for this size tank with this list.

A school of 5 adult Blue/Green chromis would also be too many for 65 gallons with any of the above.

My suggestion:

3 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Blenny, Midas blenny would be great
2 Clowns

Basile

You are already at your stocking limit for this size tank with this list.

A school of 5 adult Blue/Green chromis would also be too many for 65 gallons with any of the above.

My suggestion:

3 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Blenny, Midas blenny would be great
2 Clowns

Wait a minute i got 4 fish in my 29g biocube, which is about only 20g of realestate and everything is well; and in the 65 G only 6 fish would fit in ????:dunno: it seems a bit short.

framerguy

Wait a minute i got 4 fish in my 29g biocube, which is about only 20g of realestate and everything is well; and in the 65 G only 6 fish would fit in ????:dunno: it seems a bit short.
I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this but it really depends on several factors. Amount of Live rock, skimmer or other means of nutrient export, type of fish, and here is the kicker...MAINTENANCE SKILLS. Many veterans can keep more fish than the rule of thumb, but they know how. You may know how...? I think a Bristletooth tang would be the only family of tang you could possibly keep in that size tank (kole, tominsis, etc). Personally, I think it is hard to give advice here as to the schooling fish. I think some flasher wrasses or some kind of similar looking wrasse would be great for you, but you need to ultimately choose what you want. Good luck!

Basile

I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this but it really depends on several factors. Amount of Live rock, skimmer or other means of nutrient export, type of fish, and here is the kicker...MAINTENANCE SKILLS. Many veterans can keep more fish than the rule of thumb, but they know how. You may know how...? I think a Bristletooth tang would be the only family of tang you could possibly keep in that size tank (kole, tominsis, etc). Personally, I think it is hard to give advice here as to the schooling fish. I think some flasher wrasses or some kind of similar looking wrasse would be great for you, but you need to ultimately choose what you want. Good luck!

I couldn't blast you if i wanted to; you've help me alot in the past. I poses the question because i don't want to make a mistake with the pairing and numbers. I need guidance for this. The Tang too big i get it. The 65g will have a 29 g fuge an external skimmer, Octopus DNW 150 ( 270gph) . The tank has a coat to coast overflow, and two powerheads , Vortech 201 and Tunze Turbelle Nano Stream 6055 about 2000gph flow each. I tend to make a simple rock sculpture japaneese style in the middle. 2 to 3 inch sandbed.
50% SPS -50% LPS and macro algae for the Tang if possible.
What do you think.

michael_cb_125

Hello,

Unfortunately there are not any fish that will "school" in the aquarium. There are many fish that will shoal though.
IMO Damsels and Chromis are not the best choice for shoaling fish. They can get aggressive and they just to not add the personality that many other fish can.

I really like the Blue Eyed/Longspine cardinalfish.
lg_1015081-129.jpg

Another thing to consider would be dartfish. I think that a small group of these sweet little fish would look nice:

lg-71146-purple-firefish.jpg

I also like the idea of a harem of flasher wrasses. One male and two or three females. These fish add so much color to a tank, and display many different color patterns. But you will need to keep the tank covered to prevent them from jumping out.

I would steer clear of any tangs. You could keep a smaller tang in a 65, but the small space would likely lead to aggression.

~Michael

blue_eyes53813

Wrasse fish will not school.. I have 2 in a 265 and they beat up on each other from time to time... 5 wrasse in a 65 will be bad.. I vote for chromis.. Very nice fish..

michael_cb_125

Flasher wrasse will shoal together. You just have to be sure to add all the fish at the same time, and add only one male.
~Michael

Basile

Ok Thanks for all your input, i'm learning thing today including how to write LOl shoal got it ; my french got in the way LOL.

You say in a small tank the Tang would be agressive

I would steer clear of any tangs. You could keep a smaller tang in a 65, but the small space would likely lead to aggression.

michael_cb_125

When fish that normally have huge territories are put into a small tank, they can become very aggressive. Since the tank is so small, they think every square inch is part of their territory.
~Michael

Basile

Hello,

Unfortunately there are not any fish that will "school" in the aquarium. There are many fish that will shoal though.
IMO Damsels and Chromis are not the best choice for shoaling fish. They can get aggressive and they just to not add the personality that many other fish can.

I really like the Blue Eyed/Longspine cardinalfish.
lg_1015081-129.jpg

Another thing to consider would be dartfish. I think that a small group of these sweet little fish would look nice:

lg-71146-purple-firefish.jpg

I also like the idea of a harem of flasher wrasses. One male and two or three females. These fish add so much color to a tank, and display many different color patterns. But you will need to keep the tank covered to prevent them from jumping out.

~Michael

Actually i just check

shoal2   /ʃoʊl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [shohl] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. any large number of persons or things.
2. a school of fish.
–verb (used without object) 3. to collect in a shoal; throng.
:yup:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:

Basile

When fish that normally have huge territories are put into a small tank, they can become very aggressive. Since the tank is so small, they think every square inch is part of their territory.
~Michael

Ok thanks thats understood; the Tang is out! LOL:scram:

framerguy

Wow, those dartfish would be awesome! They are stunning. It sounds like your are getting good advice so far.

So fish "Shoal" to create a "School" ? I learned something new.

Basile

I would say 2 or 3 firefish, they are so beautiful, but jumpers

Thats the problem my tank is open and i intend to keep it that way, so the fire is out. Any other fish in mind , i was told that the Cardinals would shoal, so would the chromis.

Basile

Chromis definitely shoal. I have six greens in my tank and they hang together everywhere they go.

Ok thanks ; So 3 Chromis, the Tang is out:scram: ,The 2 clowns and their Anemone, a blenny and that would ok? 3 or 5 chromis thats 6 or 8 fish all together.

Basile

Its becomming clear to me the the Tang is out and that going with smaller fishes is better. So the School of Chromis are in , i'll leave the clowns in the other tank and have the 2 Bartlett's Anthias to keep an insentive to shoal with the chromis , the blenny will complete the tank.

Thats should make a good color schem as well; Blue , pink and yellowish

So we have 5 Chromis and 2 Anthias and the blenny at the bottom.I still can have the anemone but without the clowns( pity):cry1: