Which Clown? Help me Choose.

oakrad34

Here's my dilemma: I currently have LTA hosting a Clarkii which is only aggressive when others get close to its LTA. But very friendly when swimming or feeding.

...So I just added a Rose BTA and looking for a clown for it (fell in love with the rose and bought it 2 days ago). The LFS owner told me that the Maroons have the greatest chance of being hosted by the RBTA. I love the Maroon but worried he may be too aggressive and would fight with the Clarkii (probably would lose). If a Maroon maybe one that is smaller than all the fishes? So I don't know which to get and would consider any of the clown fishes. I don't know which anemones are best compatable with which clowns.

For info, RBTA is currently on one side of the tank and the LTA is on the other and has been secure in its spot for about 3 months.

The RBTA is currently moving looking for a spot to call home. Don't want to get the clown until then.

I'm guessing (hopefully) that in a week or two I will be getting the clown.

...I will be choosing the clown solely on your recommendations. Please post why (since I don't know), the size, and anything else that would help. I will post pics once I get it.

P.S. The rose is very nice! :invisible

DaveK

Adding another clown is always an "it might work" kind of thing. As you point out, maroon clowns are very aggressive. Also, you clarkii might feel that both anemones belong to him.

My first choice would be not to add an additional clown. My second, if I had to have another clown, would be to try an additional clarkii. That way you might end up with a pair. I'd also be willing to return the fish if it didn't work out..

Triggerjay

Adding another clown is always an "it might work" kind of thing. As you point out, maroon clowns are very aggressive. Also, you clarkii might feel that both anemones belong to him.

My first choice would be not to add an additional clown. My second, if I had to have another clown, would be to try an additional clarkii. That way you might end up with a pair. I'd also be willing to return the fish if it didn't work out..

And if you do add another clarkii, buy one much smaller than the one you have. If the one you have has been without another clown, the change from juvi, to male, and then female may have already begun. Once the change to female has begun, it will never reverse. It will be female for the remainder of its life. Two females WILL fight. If you purchase a small one, it will more than likely be either a juvi, or a male.. This should lessen the chance of agression.

Jason

lcstorc

I agree completely. Even with another Clarkii you are taking a chance. My female clarkii took months to accept the male and even now it is iffy. He can only hang out on the edges of her RBTA. Meanwhile the Maroon in the other tank is just nasty particularly to other clowns.
Adding another clown with an existing one can be a real challenge. Your best chance would be to get a small Clarkii as mentioned above. I would also remove the established one to a sump or another tank for a week or so while the new guy gets established. IME most any clowns will host in a RBTA so that should not be an issue.
I really would recommend not adding another clown. The anemone doesn't need one and things will be much more peaceful with just the one.

oakrad34

Thanks for all the input. And as I promised I'm going with your advise. I will not get another clown since the negatives out weigh the positives.

Interesting update on the RBTA: It moved from one side of the tank along the back of the tank using the rocks. The RBTA stopped a few inches from the other anemone hosting the Clarkii. Watched it all day thinking they were going to sting each other (don't know if that could actually happen) and they didn't. Can't figure why it moved all the way there. Where I had originally placed it had plenty of light and high water movement. Then I started thinking? Is it trying to invite the Clarkii? That would be funny it the Clarkii moves over to the Rose.

Thanks Again

oakrad34

Sorry...I couldn't resist....I got another Clarkii for the RBTA. After talking to several LFS owners they both recommended to get another Clarkii if I wanted to add a clown. Both said that I was taking a risk. The Clarkii is slightly smaller then the other. I dont know if its a juvenile (I dont know how to tell).

The Clarkii has adapted well and has been accepted by the other Clarkii (so far). Within a day, the RBTA was hosting the new Clarkii.

lcstorc

Hope you have continued success. If they pair up they will share one of the anemones but at least then you shouldn't have agression issues.

Doodle man

Sorry to butt in but i m new here and have a question for my 30 gallon tank that currently has live rock, 3 small hermit crabs, an emerald mithrax crab, and a large coral beauty angelfish. i wanted to add a kindof small maroon gold stripped clownfish with a green bubble tip anemone and was wondering if i could get some feedback.

oakrad34

Sorry about not having pics...Here are two pics of the Clarkii's. The original Clarkii is in a LTA and you can see the second with Rose BTA. I glad it worked out. I would have hated to place the second Clarkii in my 29g Biocube.

Attachments

• clarkiib.jpg
    clarkiib.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 29
  • clarkiia.jpg
    clarkiia.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 29