Where's my Pepermints

I have a 100 gal reef with 30 gal sump, I add a Yellow Tang, Royal Grammy and 3 "True" Peppermint 3 weeks ago. I have a 6 year old reef with zero nitrites or phosphorus. I have a lush growth of various macro algae. The Tang and Grammy are doing fine but I haven't seen the Peppermints since I introduced them. Are they shy or sensitive? I never had anything die in my reef accept a suicide. My Cleaner has been in there for the 5 years and disappears for days at a time. Should I assume they didn't make it and add more?
Tim

Mike Johnson

It is very common to put in peppermints and never see them again. They could be alive or not? They can hide for months.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They may only come out after the lights are OFF. You might try looking for them after dark.
I've only had one peppermint & I think my Coral Banded killed him. The peppermint I had was fairly active & out in the open during the day, some species of them may not be tho. I'd be cautious of adding more until I find out what happen to the ones you already added. Good Luck finding out!

ReefingFun

I had the same when I first introduced mine. I put 2 in and only 1 I saw most of the time. The other one I thought had died, but appeared again about 4 months later at night. He apparently lives in this little cave and rarely comes out.
Funny creatures them peppermints!

R1junkie

Ya I rarely see mine during the day he might pop out once in a while to grab a bit of food but other that that you might not see him for months on end.

Lipman

Took me about a month and a half before I saw mine. I was so sure it was dead! When it sees me coming it hides right away.

yankieman

Look for them with a flash light and you will probably see them ,, give it a half hour or so after lights out,,

gbose

I put 5 peppermints in my tank over a 3 month period. Saw them a lot for a few weeks, then nothing. I suspect my pistol shrimp got them...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Wondering if they have been seen yet? :ponder2:
& it would be cool to see a picture of your tank Tim. It sounds awesome!
Not many tanks have macro algae...started to let it grow in mine & I chickened out.

Choff

I have lost countless shrimp in my tank and I almost certain it's my pistol shrimp.
I had 2 blood reds, 2 skunks and 6 peppers for 6 months. Then I put the pistol in and they started to dissappear. 1 blood red remains. I have since added approx 6 more skunks and 6 more peppers. All gone. My lone blood red remains. He is the only other suspect just as last man standing, but I have never seen him aggressive to other shrimp.

Thing is I have never seen my pistol since I put him in. I hear him, but don't see him. I did a rescape and no sign. If I catch him, he is out. I hate not having any bottom dwellers in my tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jsgarrido

i had two cleaner also .. they are now gone i dont really know what happen but i wont be buying any more cleaners thats for sure :nono: im happy with one pistol and the banded shrimp

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I've gone through 2 dozen peppermint's and will probably never buy one again.

IMO they belong in a bare bottom tank with no LR if you want to see them after adding them to the tank:)

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
My two pence is if they are happy they come out, but if you have boisterous fish they won't. Any preditors and they are goners, as they can't fight anything off. Mine dances about whenever I go near my tank.

Alan

Jay61383

I had recently got 2 of them amd didnt see them for like 3 days .. they were tucked in in the parts of the rock.. I just started seeong them poke there heads out today

RSM130D, Tunze 9002 Skimmer w/Media Rack, Tunze 6150 Circulation Pump, 50lbs of Pukani LR, 45lbs of LS, Custom blue Led Strip

Mike Johnson

There are so many things that kill peppermint shrimp you can't list them all. Fish instinctively know not to eat the shrimp with the white antennae, so they fare better. Also, peppermints are extremely fragile during acclimation and any sudden changes in temp. or salinity will do them in. IME 50% of them don't make it past two days when put in a different tank.