Where to Find Acrylic

Warnberg

How big a tank and how thick of acrylic are you looking for? If you are building a small tank, like for a refugium or sump you can get 1/8 inch acrylic at your local lowes or home depot.

AHRPR

Warnberg said:
How big a tank and how thick of acrylic are you looking for? If you are building a small tank, like for a refugium or sump you can get 1/8 inch acrylic at your local lowes or home depot.

Would building a 75g acrylic tank cost a lot to make?

BoomerD

Would building a 75g acrylic tank cost a lot to make?

Not if you got it right the first time. It's usually advised that you do some serious practicing before you attempt your tank. There are a few tricks to the gluing and edge finishing that take some learning to get right. a 75 gallon tank should be made of no less than 1/4" material, and 3/8 would be stronger.
This is NOT something recommended for the first time DIY'er.

wooddood

the wood dude
i have to agree with boomer 75 gallons of water on the floor is one big mess, trust me i know :(. there are many threads on making acrylic projects, i would read as many as you can before atempting a acrylic tank of that size. the right adhesive, prep work, material size, ect. just trying to save you some headaches before hand. good luck to you.

dave. :smoking:

dave. :smoking:

DaveK

The few times I looked into building my own tank, I found the cost of material, be that glass or plastic, to be much more than the cost of a ready made tank. AND that is assumeing you got everything right the first time.

Also, consider the advantages and disadvantages of plastic verses glass tanks.

Lastly, consider that the tank is just about the cheepest part of the hobby, so the amount of money saved can be limited, compared to the total cost of a reef system.