where should my numbers be?

Orlando-Jeff

Up until now, my corals have all been softies. I recently purchased a birdsnest frag and duncan frag. I figured it was time to keep a closer eye on my cal,alk, and mag.My first test on 4-18 showed calc at 355,alk at 9.6 and mag at 1240. I knew that my new corals would need more caciuml to thrive so I started to dose red sea part A calcium. I also knew that I had to get my magnesium up as well. I dose Tech M as well. I have been checking my numbers every couple of days to see where they were. On the 26th, my calcium was 425,mag was 1280, and alk was 8.06. Now, this evening my calcium is 391, mag is 1340 and alk is 7.4..Isn't that too low for alk?What am I doing wrong. Should I be dosing differently?

Antics

Are you dosing as part of a program for maintenance of just here and there in an attempt to level it out? Most successful tanks have a routine dosage schedule that revolves around a dosing pump or religious maintenance of the aquarium. Your parameters will swing considerably dependent on what in the water is consuming elements quickly.

DaveK

Calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are all in a fairly delicate balance with each other. If you change one, you can effect the others. Here is a link to just about the best article on this subject (offsite) - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

When your going to use additives to alter parameters keep the following in mind -

Do not chase numbers. Only alter your water parameters if they are way out of range.

Your SG must be correct before you start to change anything else. if your SG is off all the other readings will be skewed.

Magnesium is key to being able to maintain the other parameters so get that right first.

Make you changes slow, over a long period of time.

Orlando-Jeff

Thanks guys.
Just trying to get my numbers up and hope my water changes with Red Sea coral pro salt will keep them there or at least close