Where is my heat coming from?

Shagon

At night I get my temps down to the 78" range with a fan blowing on my tank. With all the lights off and my heater unplugged, with in an hour the temp creeps up to 80" with the fan off. I have two mag drives running. One for my return and one for my water flow. Both are not running hot. Where else could this heat be coming from. I have a skimmer but that shouldnt be producing that much heat.

BTW 55 gal tank 10 gal sump.

N83259

In-water skimmer pumps can indeed add to the heat load. The more robust the pump, the more heat in most cases. Room temperature plays a roll as well. 80 isn't too high however for the average reef tank.

You mention a fan blowing on the display tank. Maybe another blowing across the sump would help lower the temps if that's what you want to do.

TylerHaworth

Mag pumps tend to put off quite a bit of heat, you likely can't feel it though because the water is so quickly dissipating said heat.

Also, what is your ambient temperature?

Choff

I think I saw Glenn posting that the most heat in a RSM 250 was coming from the skimmer pump. More than the lights, which I found incredible.

How are eheim on heat? I beefing up my flow rate on my chiller and swapping out a rio for an eheim.

Shagon

I have a 400 in the sump for return and a 1200(not submerged) for flow to the tank. The skimmer uses a 150 pump. My living room during the summer get up to about 77". Its 105" outside today.