Where do you put media (mechanical, biological, chemical) in the Red Sea Max S650...?

Salty150

I am coming from quite a while of just fish only with live rock saltwater aquariums...

I am now foraging into the reef aquarium world - mostly because of my like for Arco corals.

This will be my first time with a sump system instead of high powered canister filters.

Where do you put the media in the S650?

Mechanical - foam pads, polishing pads, etc...
Biological - CerMedia MarinePure blocks...
Chemical - Purigen, Chemi-Pure Elite/Blue, etc...

:confuseded:

Joeys Tank

Mechanical - the tank comes with three stock black sponges for mechanical filtration. Two of them sit on the right rear compartment of the sump under the down flow lines from the display tank and the third one sits under the return pump to reduce noise.

For block/bag filtration (bio/chem), there is a shelf in the front center sump compartment where the water flows from the left chamber to the center front and then down to the front left return area. I place my bags there. For my system, my bio filtration is 300 lbs of live rock and 150 lbs of live sand. I place carbon and purigen on the shelf center-front of the sump.

I use two MP40 pumps for circulation in the display tank and they both have black sponges protecting the propeller. I use these as mechanical filtration also and wash them out every other day (pulls alot of undissolved organics out of the system).

Ohh, another filtration piece of equipment is the skimmer which goes in the center read compartment of the sump (unless you replace the stock skimmer)

Salty150

Mechanical - the tank comes with three stock black sponges for mechanical filtration. Two of them sit on the right rear compartment of the sump under the down flow lines from the display tank and the third one sits under the return pump to reduce noise.

For block/bag filtration (bio/chem), there is a shelf in the front center sump compartment where the water flows from the left chamber to the center front and then down to the front left return area. I place my bags there. For my system, my bio filtration is 300 lbs of live rock and 150 lbs of live sand. I place carbon and purigen on the shelf center-front of the sump.

I use two MP40 pumps for circulation in the display tank and they both have black sponges protecting the propeller. I use these as mechanical filtration also and wash them out every other day (pulls alot of undissolved organics out of the system).

Ohh, another filtration piece of equipment is the skimmer which goes in the center read compartment of the sump (unless you replace the stock skimmer)

Hey, thanks!

Yeah, I plan on using the stock skimmer as well...

So you would just put the media on the shelf on top of one and other in this order - ?

Foam pad
Polishing pad
Purigen
Chemi-Pure Elite/Blue

Where would you put the 2 blocks of MarinePure?

Thanks!

Joeys Tank

The only bags I use are carbon and purigen. I toss them on the shelf and stack them on top of each other in no specific order. They both serve a different purpose and get plenty of flow on the shelf. I guess you could add a pad on top of the plastic grate to help scrub out any particulates. Would be easier to clean than the black sponges in the back right corner. Interesting thought ....