Where do you get arowanas in the US?

kathywithbirds

i think the only kind that are illegal are the asian ones like kathy said, but thats only for importing. if they are already here you can still buy them:)

Seriously? I was HOPING... but all I heard was no Asian arowanas. The reds are awesome!!

prow

yeah kathy i did see that $100,000 one. i think whoever buys thats one is going to need a kiss, cause for that price he is getting screwed:) i mean you could buy a plane and a boat and pay for a crew of divers, go with them and get one or five and still have money left over to buy a huge tank for it, wow 100,000 thats just crazy.

on the asian one, i have seen a couple on criags list, forgot the price though. they live around here. i would think though those that do have them will want ot hold on to them or ask something $100.000 for him. but if you do happen to find one on criags or ebay or whatever and they come from a hobbyist and live close to me, i can help with picking it up and making sure it looks healthy and gets shipped correctly(packed good/heater paks/extra water and stuff). offer is there if you find the need:clink:

Arowana2007

I have an 12 inch arowana in a community tank. Arowana are mostly sold in small mom and pop LFS. They do not sell it at chain pet store.

mps9506

Seriously? I was HOPING... but all I heard was no Asian arowanas. The reds are awesome!!

Correct, no Asian arowanas S. formosus are allowed to be imported in the US and I believe you need paperwork to own them if you find an old specimen. In Canada you CAN import them but you need to purchase a captive bred specimen with an implanted transpoder. These will be at least second generation captive bred fish.

yeah kathy i did see that $100,000 one. i think whoever buys thats one is going to need a kiss, cause for that price he is getting screwed i mean you could buy a plane and a boat and pay for a crew of divers, go with them and get one or five and still have money left over to buy a huge tank for it, wow 100,000 thats just crazy.
For an S. formosus you technically couldn't do that without going to jail. Captive bred individuals are the only ones allowed to be kept. Remember these guys are endangered because of habitat destruction AND the aquarium hobby.

prow

For an S. formosus you technically couldn't do that without going to jail.
well technically i did not say you should, or i would, only you could do it. jail, well, you could go, or should go, but technically doesnt mean you would go, so there :closed:,,,,,,,,,,,, :scram:

SubRosa

Has everyone forgotten the other Arowana,Scleropages leichardti?We just sold one about two months ago and while it was here I was constantly explaining to people that it was NOT a formosus.They are much redder than jardinei,and don't get as big(20" or so is max).They're not easy to find and are a bit pricier than a jardinei,but nothing like a formosus.

teresa

" Big Boy" came to us about 10 years ago when he was just 4 ins long. Now he is around 2 feet or more. He is in a 250 gallon tank and we feed him Tiger Prawns daily ( we don't even get to eat tiger prawns daily but Big Boy does)
He plays with me when he is in the mood. He will run with with me from end to end of the tank . I love to see him turn, very graceful. Well, here he is.

BigBoy.jpg

mps9506

Has everyone forgotten the other Arowana,Scleropages leichardti?We just sold one about two months ago and while it was here I was constantly explaining to people that it was NOT a formosus.They are much redder than jardinei,and don't get as big(20" or so is max).They're not easy to find and are a bit pricier than a jardinei,but nothing like a formosus.

I was under the impression S. leichardti still got up to 3-4 feet in length, they are just around 1/3 the body size of a comparably sized (in length) S. jardinii.
Regardless they are very hard to find even though they probably make better aquarium specimens than jardinii.

And regarding formosus... I just don't recommend trying to skirt the US Endangered Species Act :) It would be cool to have a fish with a tracking transponder in it though :D

Angel Girl

Hello everyone.I was looking at the threads and I saw this one and I wanted to know what Arowanas are can anyone tell me?

mps9506

Hello everyone.I was looking at the threads and I saw this one and I wanted to know what Arowanas are can anyone tell me?

Hey Lee. Arowana are basically a really neat looking fish that gets very big!
They are beautiful fish. If you ever go up to the Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach they have some on display. The ones most people have are from South America and Australia. They look kind of like a saltwater tarpon if you have ever seen one of those before. They have a big mouth and a full grown one could probably eat a couple of angelfish in one gulp if that gives you an idea of how big they are.