where do i start?

jglas26

Hi guys.I know these posts can become redundant but...............

I have a 35G. It's been up and running for 4 months now.
I have 40 lbs Live Sand - 20 lbs Live Rock.
My paramters have been good for what is considered a "fowlr" system
amm 0 NI 0 and and I've been able to keep the Nitrates under or around 20ppm since I've had the system up and running.I know the Nitrate level is not ideal for reefs but I am adding a skimmer in the next week or two. That should take care of the water quality.

Right now, I'm running a marineland 350 Powerfilter ( total waste of cash I know ) and I have 1 Yellow tang and 1 tomato clown - a couple of feather dusters and That's all for live stock. I haven't lost anything since I've started. I'm not adding any more fish to this setup.

I'm using "DIY lighting" 2 - 20watt 10k T12 bulbs.

I do have SW experience and a pretty decent understanding of Livestock and FOWLR systems but I have no clue when it comes to REEFS!

I'm now at the point to where I want to start "reef building" to this set up. Where do I start?!

Thank you , Thank you, Thank you !!!!!!!:hug1:

Just so you know, I understand throwing cash at these things is a fact of life BUT I do not plan on doing a complete " overhaul " on the lighting- I might have to upgrade BUT -$200 - $400 VHo or the like are definitely not in my future. I've heard of " lower light corals"?

slakker

Maybe more live rock? I think the recommended is somewhere between 1 to 2 pounds per gallon. It'll help with the nitrates.

And if you're going to add corals, start with the soft ones until you upgrade the lighting... even then, it could be touchy as lighting is essential....

blue_eyes53813

Hello Welcome to RS. Lower light corals would be mushrooms, sun corals ( need good regualar feedings though) Some Zoanthids can acclimate to low lighting,, watch for people selling a nice light set up. Happens alot. They upgrade and get rid of their lighting...

vdituri

Nothing to add here.
Sounds like they've hit all the bases.

Skimmer will help clean the water.
Move liverock will help reduce nitrates.
Water changes will too.
Lighting would have to be upgraded as you say for most corals, but as stated, mushrooms and sun corals would work.

What kind of water are you using for topoffs?
A reverse osmosis filter with a deionizing filter is best.
Any combination of those two is better than tap.

JWarren

welcomefish.gif

jglas26

Thanks for the imput so far guys. Here's some more info....
For "topping off" I'm using distilled R/O water that I pick up from the grocery store. It's an expense I can live with as it costs me around $5 - $10 per change and that's if I did a whole 30% I usually stick to around 5 gallons which would be almost 20%.

My birthday is in a few days and I'll be getting a new lighting system from my girlfriend as soon as i pick one out. I saw one form " Odyssea " 36" unit 197 watts 4 HO compact bulbs 2-10K and 2 actinic with led lunars for around $100. I'm thinking that sounds pretty good. Any thoughts?

I'm hoping I get super lucky and someone will pick me up a skimmer also ( which I know isn't going to happen ) but either way if I can save $$$ by getting "free" lighting, I'm going to get the skimmer myself. I should have both in the next 10 days.

Now besides the 2 obvious upgrades that I need, what steps should I be taking as far as conditioning my system to be ready to SUCCESSFULLY stock corals?[/B]

jglas26

Thanks for the imput so far guys. :yup: Here's some more info....
For "topping off" I'm using distilled R/O water that I pick up from the grocery store. It's an expense I can live with as it costs me around $5 - $10 per change and that's if I did a whole 30% I usually stick to around 5 gallons which would be almost 20%.

My birthday is in a few days and I'll be getting a new lighting system from my girlfriend as soon as i pick one out. I saw one from " Odyssea " . 36" unit 197 watts 4 HO compact bulbs 2-10K and 2 actinic with led lunars for around $100. I'm thinking that sounds pretty good. Any thoughts?

I'm hoping I get super lucky and someone will pick me up a skimmer also ( which I know isn't going to happen ) but either way if I can save $$$ by getting "free" lighting, I'm going to get the skimmer myself. I should have both in the next 10 days.

Now besides the 2 obvious upgrades that I need, what steps should I be taking as far as conditioning my system to be ready to SUCCESSFULLY stock corals?

Last edited:

Jason25

I have 1 Yellow tang

A 35gal. tank is way to small for a tang it might be OK for now if the tang is small but you really should see if your LFS will give you credit for it or if you have a friend with a much larger tank that will take it for you.

jglas26

Hey guys! Sorry it took me a while to get back on here. Actually, I was trying to get my hands on a better camera for some pic's of my set up- They're not the best BUT I posted some in the pic gallery under " full tank shots"

I tried to add them to this post but I'm still trying to figure out hw to use this site. Let me know what you think! Thanks.