where do i start? ( repost )

jglas26

Hey guys. I just noticed that my original thread was on the " meet & greet " page. I've now "double posted" it here so hopefully it recieves the proper attention.

Anyways, I'm looking into upgrading my system.
I have a 35g
20 lbs LR
40 lbs LS
amm 0
Ni 0
I've been able to keep the NA under 20 ppm since it's been up.
Marineland 350 H.O.B. filter ( waste of money, I know )
"standard" lighting.
System has been running for 4, almost 5 months now. Haven't lost anything yet. ( knock on wood ).

I got a Current HO T5 lighting system in the mail as we speak. equipped with
1 - 96 watt 50/50 10k, 460 actinic bulb ( for 3 watts per gallon ) of the recommended 2-5, right?

I'm getting a new skimmer some time next week if I could actually decide on which one would be best.

LIvestock; 1 tomato clown and 1 yellow tang. 2 feather dusters and a blue devil damsel. ( I plan on " downsizing " the livestock when adding corals )

So far I've gotten some help but it was recommended that I post some pics for better "diagnosis" click on my gallery and you can see what I got.

So again I ask, where should I get started? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!! :hug1:

lcstorc

Welcome!
Sounds like you have gotten started.
First piece of advice. Get rud of the tang. No tang deserves to live in a 35g system. Minimum tank size for any tank is 125g. Don't go with the it's small now line. They grow very quickly so you need to take it back to the LFS ASAP.
I am assuming you do not have a sump on this system. If that is correct then I recommend the AquaC Remora skimmer as a good HOB skimmer for your size tank.
I would ditch the Marineland filter. Unless you keep it super clean it will be the cause of your nitrates. If you keep it, only do so to occasionally run carbon or Phosban as needed but you must keep it very clean.
Water changes are your friend.
I'm not sure what kind of upgrade you are referring to but the WPG rule really means nothing. What matters is what type of light, reflectors, depth of tank, kelvin, and of course wattage.

Octoman

The 96w bulb is a power compact and not a traditional T5 bulb. They sometimes try to call them T5 because the bulb width is the same, but the pc has two bulbs connected together and IMO their reflective efficiency is lower than T5's with individual reflectors.

jglas26

Gotcha. Yeah, the marineland 350 has actually done it's job for a FOWLR system and I do clean it like crazy but I have an averaged Nitrate level of 20ppm so that's gotta go. I've heard great things about Remora skimmers, I think that's what I'm going to go with.

As far as the Tang, I DID plan on upgrading to a much larger FOWLR system. Then I decided on trying my hand with a reef system instead ( I think I've got the bug! ) So, I'll be keeping the same tank and upgrade equipment, not size. Over time I've gotten to be pretty cool with the LFS and he's going to "credit me" for equipment in exchange for the Tang.

I do agree with you on the WPG rule. It seems that spectrum, kelvin, etc. is much more important than " plain ol' power". My lighting is 10k, and 460 Actinic 50/50 , 96 watt bulb. The depth of the tank is 16in.

The plan is crossing over from FOWLR to REEF.

lcstorc

Even reef isn't descriptive enough for this group. :) Seriously though the requirements for softies are different from LPS which are different fron SPS,Clams, and Anemones.
What are you wanting to put in the tank? That will make a big difference on lighting and flow.

jglas26

Last edited:

jglas26

Even reef isn't descriptive enough for this group. :) Seriously though the requirements for softies are different from LPS which are different fron SPS,Clams, and Anemones.
What are you wanting to put in the tank? That will make a big difference on lighting and flow.

I like a lot of SPS corals......brain coral and button polyps have caught my eye

lcstorc

Well then, if you primarily want SPS then you are going to need a lot of light an a lot of flow. Preferred lighing would be MH or LED. It could be done with a bank of T5 lights with individual reflectors. You will also want quite a bit of circulation. I assume the tank is not drilled so this is going to mean a number of very strong powerheads preferrably on a wavemaker.

lcstorc

I'm unfamiliar with grow lights but 400w would be overkill for tha size tank.
I would go with 150 or 250.

jglas26

]Okay guys, let me give this another shot.
The other day I started this thread and when I began asking questions I suddenly realized That I need alot more research.

Now. . . I looked a little more into the lighting system I was referring to. It IS a PC not t5. Again, it's a 36" unit w/ 1x96 watt 50/50 10k - 460 actinic bulb. I read up on a couple websites that say it would be well suited for " softies ".

With that in mind, I've been researching some soft corals and I love some of the xenia's - toadstool's and I think Zoanthid " button polyp" are among my very favorite. How does this sound for a game plan?

I've also read that soft coral is "lower requirement". Keep in mind I don't mean cutting corners, as my tank is my baby! I already spend a good hour a day with it already and it's just a FOWLR! Just keep in mind that since I'm brand new to the reef world, I'm thinking "softies" would be a good starting point?

jglas26

Urghhh!!!!!! I've been rambling on forever about getting a skimmer for this tank. I can't find a " decent " skimmer anywhere rated specifically for a 35g! ( or close to )
Most are 20g or under and 100g or so and over. I'm worried about " over skimming " I don't want to get this wrong.

I'm just not sure as to what is not enough and what is too much! What are you guys using?!

Last edited:

lcstorc

I wouldn't worry about over skimming. I am assuming you do not have a sump so you need a HOB skimmer. My favorite is the Aqua C Remora which is what I have on my 20g. It is rated higher but you can always adjust it to skim more wet or more dry.
With the light you are referring to does it have one 50/50 96w bulb or is it two 96w bulbs?
If it is 2 96w bulbs then I would say that is fine for softies.

jglas26

yeah no sump.....going with a HOB

For the light.....IT IS ONLY ONE. But the tank is only 16" deep and after they sit on the LR I can easily position them within 6" - 12 " of the light if needed?