Where Did You Acquire Your Styrofoam From?

SZHTTM

Hello!!;

Where did you purchase/acquire the styrofoam used to sit your aquarium on? I'm planning my new tank and would like to use the styrofoam to help make sure that the tank is level.

Thanks!!

Good Luck And Have Fun!!!;
:thumber:

Try these guys first and see what the price is like, if to high I know lowes sells a styrofoam like (foam) sheet that works great under the tanks, it blue. Couldnt tell you who makes it.

If all fails looking in the phone book,each county has a company that manufaturers styrofoam for shipping and packing. I get mine from a company here in jersey, they will make you any size or shape, but wich is great for the 3D Backgrounds.

Specialty Products Tampa, FL
Phone: 813-621-5371
Manufactures fiberglass insulation; manufactures plastics materials & resins; fabricates pipes & fittings; manufactures plastic foam products
Products: Styrofoam; covers; covers: insulation; fibreglass materials (fiberglass materials); fittings; fittings:..

Hopefully this is some help

Elmo18

Home Depot or Lowe's will have it. Should be by the insulation section, right by the lumber department.

For smaller tanks less than 40 gallons, I like to use the 1/2" thick ones. For larger tanks, I would use the 3/4" thickness size.

Best,
Ilham

Scouter Steve

Are you leveling or releiving stress points on an acrylic tank. Glass tanks are not supposed to have styro under them. They have the plastic rim at the bottom to distribute the weight.

SZHTTM

Are you leveling or releiving stress points on an acrylic tank. Glass tanks are not supposed to have styro under them. They have the plastic rim at the bottom to distribute the weight.

The plan was to level a new AGA 210-gallon tank. Are you saying that I should not place the styrofoam under this type of tank?

Thanks!!

Elmo18

Well, hmm, you did not mention that this was a glass tank, so I just assumed an acrylic tank ;)

In that case, I wouldn't use a styrofoam pad either. Just make sure your stand is level.

Best,
Ilham

SZHTTM

Why would glass vs. acrylic make a difference?

Not trying to start a flame war here, just trying to understand why there is difference between to two types of tanks.

I thought the styrofoam was used under all types of aquariums to ensure they are as level as possible.

Thanks Again!!

boozeman

you can find it at either lowes or home depot, look in the siding section. The 4x8 foam is used to insulate a home before the siding goes on. It may be pink or blue depending on brand

KodiakBear

I'm going to tag along on this one since I was just about to go pick up some styrofoam to put under my new 125 all glass. Why is it bad for glass?

panmanmatt

Glass tanks are supported by the plastic rim on the tank, not the bottom pane itself. Putting anything against the bottom glass can cause stress points on the glass possibly causing it to fail.

Acrylic tanks are support by the bottom pane of acrylic thus the surface must be totally level as it supports the whole weight of the tank.

Kirblit

I used 3/4 under my 125, I just cut it so that the styro is only under the outside plastic rim. I have always believed that it's a good idea to use it on large tanks, as long as it's not pressed against the glass bottom. The styro really helps elimanate any stress points on the plastic rim, and helps to level it out in my opinion.